Weinberger Speaks To K-School Visiting Committee

By Mary Humes

In an unpublished visit to Harvard last night, Secretary of Defense Caper W. Weinberger '38 addressed the Kennedy school's visiting committee on the subject of arms control negotiations with the Soviet Union.

On the eve of the first of the committee's twice-yearly meetings, last night's reception and dinner at the K-School Forum drew over 40 K-School officials and committee members--a group which includes such noted figures as Walter Cronkhite and Sen. Edward M. Kennedy '54 (D-Mass.).

The program--which was closed to the public and the press--consisted of a 30-minute speech by Weinberger, followed by an additional 30 minutes of questions from guests.

Committee members said that Weinberger did not discuss any new subjects in the address, but that he stressed the Administration's commitment to negotiations with the Soviets.

"He emphasized the importance of sitting down at the bargaining table with the Soviets," said Harry Starr '21, a committee member.

"He argued that while the U.S. would have the advantage in a pre-emptive strike, this alone will not lead to negotiations resulting in a verifiable treaty," said committee member Frank A. Weil '53, adding that Weinberger advocated more powerful conventional forces to increase negotiating leverage.

After an evening of toasting the K-School, the committee--which periodically reports to the Board of Overseers on the school's status--will settle down to business this morning with meetings beginning at 8 a.m.