Council Will Protest Naming K-School Program for McCloy

By Michael W. Kirschorn and Jesse M.fried

After 30 minutes of heated debate, the Undergraduate Council last night narrowly voted to urge the Kennedy School to "reconsider" naming a recently announced Harvard fellowship for a former government official because of his actions during and after World War II.

The council backed the objections of several student grounds to the naming of a $1 million grant after Former Assistant Secretary of War John J. McCloy, who served as high commissioner of Germany after the war.

The gift from the Volkswagen Foundation to the K-School will fund the K-School education's of 25 German students each year.

The council's letter is the fifth drafted by a student organization asking for a name switch.

In the letter to be sent to K-School Dean Graham T. Allison '62, the Council charges that McCloy supported the internment of Japanese-Americans in 1941, commuted the sentences of Nazi was criminals, refused to bomb railroads leading to Nazi concentration camps, and had dealings with a company that used slave labor.

Jordan B. Millstein '85, vice chairman of the Harvard-Radcliffe Hillel Coordinating Council, read portions of a letter being sent by Hillel to Allison which calls McCloy's role in World War II a "dark moment in American history."

The letter--put forth by Academics Committee Co-Chair Christine A. Reuther '84--prompted a counter-resolution from council member Gregory S. Lyss '85 urging the council not to take a stance until it is better informed about McCloy's activities.

"I am Jewish I do not take this lightly," Lyss said, asking. "Are you saying we can't name anything after FDR or anything after Earl Warren?"

Lyss cited a recent Harper's magazine article by Dunwalke Associate Professor of History Alan Brinkley which argued that McCloy was merely acting on the orders of others and did not, for example, initiate the idea of internment camps.

A subsequent vote on the Lyss proposal ended in a tie, prompting a full roll call.

Lyss's proposal was finally defeated by one vote--32 to 31 with two abstentions--and the original resolution passed by 10 votes.

Hunger Strike Service

In other business, the 74 members present also approved a request for a $250 grant and up to $250 more in matching money for a Memorial Church service to be held Wednesday at the end of the seven-day fast protesting the University's investments in South Africa.

The service is scheduled to begin at 1 p.m. and will be led by Plummer Professor of Christian Morals Peter J. Gomes Following the service the protesters plan to collect signatures for a statement that calls "for the ending of injustice and oppression everywhere," spokesman Abner A. Mason '85 said.

The fasters have invited exiled South African journalist Donald Woods and Boston mayoral candidate Melvin H. King to speak at the service, but as of last night they had not received replies from either.

In a related development, one of the strikers who had been going without food since Monday night announced yesterday that he began eating fruit.

But Beverly S. Bell '86 said yesterday that she would continue her no-food fast indefinitely. The third hunger-striker could not be reached for comment yesterday.

"My further weakening will not in any way contribute to a positive outcome of the protest," Barry S. Zellen '84 said yesterday.

Zellen, who said he spoke with President Bok over the phone for 20 minutes this weekend, added that he and Bell will meet with Vice President and General Counsel Daniel Steiner '54 this week.

The two plan to present Steiner with requests for a University-sponsored debate on divestiture, and monthly open meetings where students can ask Corporation representations how it is using its stock holdings to influence corporate policy in South Africa.

They Could've Had a V-8

In addition, two more students joined the fruit-and-water fast this weekend, and S. Allen Counter, director of the Harvard Foundation, donated 250 cans of V-8 juice to the protesters.

The total number of fasters is now 19.

Also at last night's meeting, the council approved a proposal to use part of the interest earned from the Endowment for Divestiture to finance a yearly lecture series dealing with racism in South Africa.

The Endowment for Divestiture is an alternative escrow fund to which seniors may contribute instead of the Senior Class Gift fund.

The endowment's money will be donated to the Harvard Scholarship Fund only when the University sells its stock in companies operating in South Africa or when the United Nations lifts its ban on trade with the apartheid state.

If, in 20 years, neither of these conditions are met, the money will be donated to a charity in the Harvard community.

The issue was tabled at last week's meeting after council members expressed fears that the plan would run into legal troubles and that the money would be used solely to fund the activities of the Southern Africa Solidarity Committee (SASC).

The resolution passed last night after promises by SASC members that a broad range of speakers would be invited to speak.

People's Commencement

In other developments last night, the council overturned a grants committee recommendation by approving $750 for a SASC sponsored "People's Commencement," a rally to be held during commencement week dealing with, South Africa and other issues.

The Council also passed a constitutional amendment merging the Communications and Finance and Grants Committees; elected Nancy W. Boutiler '84 interim representative to the Athletic Standing Committee; supported a request to place a Third World weekend on next year's Freshman Week calendar, and approved $1524.50 in additional grants and loans to campus organizations.