Criminal Sophistication

Guys and Dolls Directed by Joshua Milton At the Leverett House Old Library through May 7

By Catherine L. Schmidt

THE ADMINISTRATIVE BOARD would certainly label joining a floating crap game "conduct unbecoming a Harvard Student." It would probably cast a similar judgement on dancing in the chorus line at a club called "The Hot Box." But the cast of Guys and Dolls, the recent production of the Leverett Arts Society, proves that for once, the Ad Board is wrong--Harvard students can do both with great success.

One can only hope that Dean of Students Archie C. Epps III never sees the opening of Guys and Dolls. A steady stream of undesirables hurries across the stage, always one step ahead of the police. As prostitutes, gamblers, street vendors, con men and an intoxicated boxer, the actors recreate the Times Square atmosphere so well that Dean Epps might very well ask them to take a semester off and warn their roommates to lock up their valuables.

Everyone seems to enjoy themselves, Paul Sagawa and Scott Alexander, who play crap-master Nathan Detroit's seedy sidekicks Nicely-Nicely and Benny, and Dave Eastman, who portrays high stakes Chicago gambler Big Julie, all turn in memorable performances. Sagawa and Alexander, clowas throughout the show, pull out all the stops in the title song as they bemoan the fate of their boss and any other guy who falls for a doll. Eastman's bellows of "Let's shoot crap!" are worthy of the evilest mobster, and the dance numbers are energetic and enthusiastic.

Into this den of iniquity marches Sergeant Sarah Brown (Nan Hughes) at the head of her Salvation Army. Sarah has the misfortune to be at stake in a bet between Nathan Detroit, who needs a quick $1000 to finance his crap game, and "Sky" Masterson, a rich gambler looking for action. Detroit has but Sky that he cannot get the righteous Sister Sarah to go with him to Havana.

Hughes and Jeffrey Korn, who plays Sky, turn in stellar performances. Hughes manages to embody both the uptight "mission doll" and the Havana seductress, and Korn does equally well as a sometime daydreamer who can still convince Sarah that there is nothing in her drink besides milk and a little native flavoring called "bacardi." Both actors amply demonstrate their marvelous voices. Hughes' "If I were a Bell," Korn's "Luck Be a Lady" and their several duets would resonate sweetly in Sanders Theater, let alone the cogy Leverett Old Library.

MINOR ACTORS shine as well. Kevin Avery makes the most of his role as Lt. Brannigan, the stereotypical musical comedy cop whose goal in life is to track down Nathan's set-up, the "oldest established permanent floating crap game in New York." Both Saidel has a variety of roles: chores girl, hooher, Havana dancer. Although she says very little, her dancing is truly spectacular, and her high kicks and sultry writhing in the Havana cabaret make her one of the show's most memorable performers.

Thania Pappas plays a solid Miss Adelaide, Nathan's finance of 14 years, and in another cast would garner high praise. She does well on her solo "Adelaide's Lament," and it is only when she shares the stage with Hughes that her charm begins to fads. The Hot Box chorus line suffers a similar fate. Their adequate cabaret numbers get lost in the shadows of the splendid acting.

No doubt much of this production's success stems from its familiar score and book. But it's hard to see how a different cast could have done as well. "It is a pleasure to see our mission graced by so many evil-looking sinners," says the Salvation Army General, who comes to inspect Sarah's mission. It is also a pleasure to see the Leverett stage graced by so many talented performers. For those forced to find their "action" in between term papers, Guys and Dolls is a wonderful place to start.