Boston's Smorgasbord of Sounds

Where in the United States will you get the chance this summer to see in one week the Anti-Nowhere League Chicago, U2 and Robert Palmer. New York perhaps But in Boston those are some of the assorted artists to show up in the last week of June. Beantown you'll quickly discover, is second only to the Big Apple and perhaps L.A in terms of the quality and variety of national acts that steam through as well as the liveliness of the local music scene

Tickets for practically all music events are available at the Out of Town agency of Elsie's although you'll have to stomach an irritating service charge For a more comprehensive rundown, check out the Boston Phoenix, an estimable weekly newspaper in its own right

Close to home-Cambridge, that is--two places are worth a mention Jonathan Swift's is one of the more comfortable small clubs around town maybe a little too comfortable. Be prepared for a night of standing and elbows if you don't get there early Watch out for falling beer from waitresses rushing about Old time blues, reggae, folk, and '60s rock are featured here, and Albert King, Doc Watson and Robert Hunter are scheduled for dates this summer at this JFK St pub.

You more trendy types might want to check out the Inn-Square Men's Bar, where Boston's hotter new wave bands show their faces. An occasional national act will wind its way here as well. Ladies are welcome here, by the way.

Moving out of Cambridge brings us to the arenas Ugh But if you are determined to see the Pat Benatars. Super tramps, and Journeys in this world, you're going to have to work to get there That's because the Boston Garden--which used to be the primary way station for these noise makers has gradually given way to the spanking new Centrum in Worcester, which is more than just a simple ride on the T. Life does have its special punishments for our little vices Styx is on tap for the Centrum Very sad So is the suddenly famous U2. Happy

If you've read this far, however you must be cooler than AOR and here are some places for you Spit, on Lansdowne St. is for the safety pin in the nose set The Metro, its neighbor, is only slightly more conservative. Both are hot, huge, modern dance halls replete with the latest videos. National new wave acts do make stops, but not much yet is scheduled for the summer.

Oppositely, live music almost never lets up at the Paradise on Commonwealth Ave., or the Channel on Necco St. The Paradise runs the gamut from traditional rock to trendy new wave, and lands a goodly number of national names, Gregg Allman will be there, as will one of Boston's best very own. The Stompers. Also, make a very special note in your calendars of July 13 REM, with one of the two or three best albums of the year so far, Murmur, under tow is slated.

The Channel is the have for national and local punk and hardcore mavens. It packs in a lot of people, but it is a real dive, and is not recommended to those allergic to excessive sweat and flying bodies Slam dancers, take note of dates set for the Anti-Nowhere League, UB40, and Echo and the Bunnymen

Several other places deserve mention as well. The Orpheum, a first-rate hall for about 3000, is bringing the Tubes and Joan Armatrading to town. And there's series of open-air concerts on the Boston Common, including Chicago, Linda Ronstadt, and a not to be missed evening with Mr. "Sexual Healing" himself, Marvin Gaye. And down near the beach at the Cape Cod Glesium huge sweat that it is, Elvis Costello is scheduled for August. Tickets have been on sale for a few months, so you may well be out of luck But if you cross your fingers, who knows, accidents have been known to happen.

There are a myriad of other clubs around town that are well worth checking out as well, if you have the time or the money. In fact, money should not be insignificant in any of your plans about music this summer. You'll have to shell out at least 10 dollars and probably more like 15 to see any of the big names--like Gaye or Costello And in the smaller venues, the cover charge will probably range between five and 10, depending on the quality of the act So don't go wild with this smorgasbord of sound pack and choose with some degree of care so you're not left broke for the Police at the end of the summer at Foxboro Stadium

One final word of warning Boston as you probably found out by now has a drinking age of 20 A bummer for those who like Molson Even more of a bummer for those who like Gang of Four but who haven't yet reached bed Fd King's sacred age Most of the clubs mentioned above are serious about enforcing this and their bouncers are mean and nasty If you are not yet 20 you better have an excellent take I D These incredible hulks can snill out the jokers Pleading won't you any where either