Java Supreme

Coffee may not seem too appealing this time of year, but don't lot that keep you from sampling the Square's oh-so-artsy cafes; there are dozens of reasons why people flock to the quaint, overpriced coffeehouses and drinking coffee most certainly is not one of them.

Falling in love is, in which case you should head right away to the exotic Cafe Algiers on Brattle St. for mint tea, falafel and Arabian music. Whether you sit outside or in, pretend it's wartime Casablanca. For a more Occidental experience, veer to the understated Cafe Pampiona where you'll want to be seen.

And on hot days when you aspire to accomplish nothing more than watching water beads form on your lemonade glass, follow Long fellow to the legendary village smithy's haunts, the Blacksmith on Brattle St. This cafe features a quiet milieu and some of the Square's best pastries,

But if you're seeking coffee for its own sake instead of ambience, the path leads straight to the Coffee Connection (fondly referred to as the cafine connection by devotees) where you can find any been you fancy brewed ways even Mrs. Folger hasn't heard about. Located in the first floor of the Garage, you can drink your fill, but steer clear of the obscenely priced, though delicious, desserts.

Other establishments dedicated to the fine art of Java swilling include Passim, tucked away on Palmer St. behind the Coop, Grendel's Don in the evening, and La Ruche, a sterilized version of the once-Euro Prioshka.

If you're just looking for a good, cheap cup of coffee, you'll have to try Boston