Two Alleged Thefts Occur in Square

Summer School Student Arrested

A Summer School student was arraigned yesterday on charges of shoplifting from the Harvard Coop, and assault and battery, according to a court official

Raymond Pena, who lives in Lowell House, was picked up Friday at 4:10 p.m. and was released on personal recognizance, police records say. At the arraignment in Middlesex County Third District Court, a hearing was scheduled for August 12. The case will be tried as a misdemeanor.

Coop officials refused to comment on the specific allegations. Pena refused to confirm or deny the incident, or to comment on it.

Summer School Dean of Students Hugh Flick said he was unaware of the incident, noting that the police usually notify him the day after an arrest takes place. He added, however, that it was the first time he could recall a summer school student being charged with shoplifting at the Mass. Ave. store.

Earlier this month, a Summer School student was arrested after he allegedly stole a bicycle in the Square, threw it into the subway construction area, and damaged several nearby streetlights. That case will be heard today.