3 Local Residents Arrested for Armed Holdup of Student

Three Cambridge residents, one carrying a gun, held up a summer school student in the Square early yesterday morning.

The student, whom police refused to identify, was on Holyoke St. at 12.30 a.m. when the three men stopped him, pointed the weapon at him, and asked for money, according to Cambridge police reports. The student responded that he had none, but the three still searched him. Answering a passerby's call, two policemen--one by car, one on foot--came to the scene of the crime, prompting the muggers to flee.

According to police records, Derek Temple was arrested-after a 10 minute chase--in front of Cambridge Savings. At least six Cambridge officers helped to arrest Temple and two juveniles were also caught during the chase. Harvard police assisted with the arrests.

The three men spent the night at the Cambridge police station, and were arranged yesterday morning on charges of assault with intent to rob, and unlawful carrying of firearms.

Charges Against Student Eased

A Cambridge court this week decided to dismiss all criminal charges in six months against a Summer School student who was arrested three weeks ago on charges that he stole a bicycle and damaged several street-lights in Harvard Square. The decision is contingent upon his good behavior.

At the Tuesday trial, a Middlesex County Third District Judge also fined the student. Matthew J. Chamberlain of 25 Avon St. in Cambridge $40 to the cover the cost of the lights broken during his July 8 early morning spree.

Chamberlain declined comment on the circumstances and findings in his case, as did his court-appointed lawyer Jacqueline Freeman

George Murphy the assistant district attorney who prosecuted the case, said this week that the arresting officer told the court that he smelled alcohol on his [Chamberlain's] breath."

Even though the formal ruling to "continue" the case for six months did not carry a judgement as to Chamberlain's gulit or innocence. Murphy said that the student admitted sufficient fact to warrant a finding of guilty."

The state's attorney explained, however, that the court did not seek to penalize Chamberlain beyond the fine because re reportedly did not have any previous criminal record.

Murphy said that Cambridge probation authorities will monitor Chamberlain's activities throughout the six month period. During the regular school year 22-year-old Chamberlains is registered at Denison University in Granville. Ohio.

The criminal court's decision clears the way for Harvard to consider their own disciplinary action against Chamberlain, Summer School officials said yesterday.

Sommer Dean of Students Hugh Flick explained that Harvard officials postponed taking any action because of normal procedures which call for waiting until all complaints and charges outside of the University are settled.

The dean added that he plans to meet with Chamberlain soon to discuss the possibilities--which could range from informal probation to dismissal from the Summer School Flick explains that he plans to make a formal recommendation on action at a meeting next week of the Dean's Council, a disciplinary committee of about 15 officials--including Senior Proctors and several other Summer School administrators.

Chamberlain's arrest marked the first student this summer involving a Harvard Summer School student and Cambridge police.

A second student Raymond Pena, who lives in Lowell House was arrested for allegedly shoplifting last Friday from the Harvard Camp. A hearing on the case is scheduled in Middlesex County Third District Court for August 12. Flick said he plans to meet with Pena today to discuss the incident.

Like the Chamberlain case, Flick said, Harvard officials will postpone consideration of formal disciplinary action until the criminal case is handled.

Ad Beard Case

While Flick said that besides the two arrests "things have been fairly quiet," by added that the Summer School Administrative Board will convent today for the first time this summer to discuss an incident involving a Summer School student and his apprehension by Harvard police Wednesday night.

The Administrative Board--Composed of top officials and chaired by Summer School Director Marshall R. Pihl '55--meets rarely and only in cases of severe academic or disciplinary lapses by Summer School students.

Most disciplinary cases are handled by the Dean's Council, which can refer cases to the Board in special situations where expelling the student is a strong possibility Last year. Flick, said, the Ad Board handled two cases, and neither resulted in withdrawal.

Flick declined in describe in detail the case stated for discussion today, saying only that a male student was picked up by Harvard police at 2 a.m. Thursday, after allegedly breaking into a non-residential building some where on Harvard property.

Harvard police records examined late yesterday did not include any mention of the incident which Flick described, and not further details on the incident were available from the University police.

Flick said he learned of the event by talking with the police yesterday, but police official manning the desk headquarters could not confirm this not could they explain the absence of a police report from the public log, which is supposed to record all calls and incidents to which the police respond