Stenhouse Breaks Into the Majors

First Harvard Grad in Eight Years

By Jacob M. Schlesinger

Mike Stenhouse '80, the leftfielder who logged several battling records during the three years he played in a Crimson uniform, yesterday donned a Montreal Expos suit, becoming the first Harvard graduate to make a mid-season major league roster in eight years.

In his first evening up from the minors, Stenhouse played in both games of a doubleheader against the St. Louis Cardinals. He came in late in the first game, playing left field and hitting into a double play. Stenhouse played first base and had a double in four trips to the plate during the nightcap. St. Louis won both 4-3 (10 innings) and 10-1. Stenhouse was unavailable for comment yesterday.

Pennant Battle

The team called up the left-hander--the third player and first non-pitcher this year--to help in the intense pennant battle in the National League East division. The Expos are currently in third place, two games behind the Pittsburgh Pirates and a game and a half behind the Cardinals.

Stenhouse had caught fire in this, his second year with the Wichita Aeros, a AAA club. After 97 games, he had a .351 batting average, 22 home runs, and 82 runs batted in--totals which placed him among the league leaders in all three categories. He topped the circuit with 89 walks.

Varney Was Last

The last Harvard player to break through was Pete Varney '71, who had a mediocre stint with the Chicago White Sox before closing out his career with the Atlanta Braves in 1975. Varney now coaches for Brandeis.

The Expos have apparently not yet decided where Stenhouse will play. He spent most of the minor league season at first base, though he closed it out with his familiar turf in left field--both spots the Expos are strong at Jim Fanning, who oversees the club's farm organization, yesterday raised the possibility that Stenhouse may play in right field or fill in occasionally at first.

"He did everything we expected from him," said Fanning. "He earned his spurs and we've been keeping a very close eye on him."

Stenhouse joined the team's expanded ros- ter at the very end of last year, and tailed to get a hit in his one time at bat.

Harvard Coach Alex Nahigian last night recalled Stenhouse as "a really outstanding hitter and a fine fielder." He also attributed his former charge's success to "an excellent temperament--he accepted the bad days along with the good days. He didn't go 0 for 4 too often, but when he did, he accepted it."

Stenhouse's name is etched throughout the Harvard record book. He holds the highest season average (475 in 1977), the highest lifetime average (422), the most doubles in one season (12 in 1979), and career triples (19). Donnie Allard '83, with 22 home runs last year, broke Stenhouse's career record of 19.

Those accomplishments are even more astounding considering that he played only three years for the Crimson. He sat out his senior year after accepting an offer from the Expos in January 1980.

Stenhouse's father, Dave, was a pitcher for the Washington Senators in the early 1960s and currently coaches the Brown team. "I recognized his talent his first year at Harvard when he really fared well against all the competition," he said adding that the family first got wind of a possible move about 10 days ago.

Stenhouse's younger brother David graduated last year from Holy Cross, and is currently catching in the Toronto Blue Jays organization.

According to James Greenidge. Harvard sports information director, two other Harvard grads are currently in the minor leagues--pitcher Larry Brown '79 and catcher Vinnie Martelli '83