Ivy Wreath is Up for Grabs

The Other Ivies

By Mike Knobler

It's going to be the kind of year when a field goal or an untimely penalty can decide the Ivy League football championship. 1982 marked only the third time in Ivy history that three teams shared a football championship, but this year's battle for gridiron supremacy should be as hotly contested. No fewer than four teams can stake a respectable claim to be the preseason favorite, and if Harvard, Yale. Penn and Dartmouth stumble, don't be too surprised if Brown or Cornell rises out of the second division to grab the title. Only Princeton and Columbia seem inescapably bound for the ranks of the also rans.

Here is a glance at Harvard's competition, in the approximate order they'll finish.

Pennsylvania (7-3 overall, 5-2 in Ivies last year): Last year the Quakers rebounded from a 1-9 season in 1981 to tie for their first Ivy championship since 1959, and they have no intention of returning to the familiar confines of the Ivy cellar. Quarterback Gary Vura and halfback Steve Flacco are gone from last season's upstarts. But seven starters return on defense, including three second-team All-Ivy selections. One of them, cornerback Timmy Chambers, picked off six passes last fall. Kevin Bradley, who led the team in stops last year, returns with seven other lettermen at linebacker.

Replacing Vura will be either sophomore Jim Crocicchia or junior Jim McGeehan, neither of whom has thrown a varsity pass. Whoever runs Coach Jerry Berndt's attack, he'll have plenty of talented hands to throw to Starters Rich Syrek and Karl Hall return at wide receiver Together with Warren Buchler, they brought down 63 receptions last year. There are serious question marks at tight end, however Returning running back Chuck Nolan will play behind an inexperienced line.

But despite problems at quarterback and the offensive line. Berndt thinks his team can do it again. "We are going to behave like defending champions," he said during the preseason. If it comes down to a field goal, as it did last year against Harvard with no time left on the clock. Berndt can count on placekicker Dave Shutman to pull him through.

Dartmouth (5-5, 5-2). While half of the Ivy League looks for quarterback, Coach Joe Yukica has two starting signal callers returning. This, along with the return of his top runner, his top receiver and light starting members of his defense should be enough to make Yukica a very happy and confident man. It isn't.

Quarterbacks Frank Polsinelly and Mark Caraviello will be playing behind one of the least experienced offensive lines in the league. Richard Weissman is a line running back but he'll need holes to run through. There's also the small matter of a tight end Senior Chris Michalski is the only player returning at that spot and he has just one varsity catch to his credit. Split end Jack Daly brings the Dartmouth single-season reception and yardage marks back with him.

All-Ivy punter Jenn Corbett and Steve Karol will hold their own at linebacker. The experienced defense may be able to offset the Big Green's green offensive line Look for some baseball scores to come out of Hanover this fall, and maybe a league champion.

Yale (4-6, 3-4): Though the Elis suffered a losing season last year they figure to make it a little higher on this year's lis. The usually strong Bulldogs have the best speed in the Ivies, a strong defensive line and a healthy Mike Luzzi at quarterback.

But two preseason injuries may spell trouble in New Haven. First-string linebacker Carmen llacqua suffered a shoulder injury and will be out for the year. More importantly, last season's Ivy League fushing leader. Paul Andrie, broke an arm and could miss four to six weeks. Fortunately for Yale. Columbia and Brown are the only league foes to play the Elis in the first five weeks.

Sophomore Kevin Moriarty could catch a few bombs, but in Andrie's absence, defense and placekicking are Yale's biggest strengths. Junior Bill Moore boosted a 52 yd field goal last year. But Yale is without a punter and has two spots in its defensive backfield up for grabs.

Cornell (4-6, 3-4). Tailback Derrick Harmon is unquestionably the league's best returning runner. He raced to 903 yards in eight games en route to All-Ivy. Academic All-American and honorable mention All-American honors. Harmon will have to do it all again this year, as the Big Red has a very little passing game.

First-year Coach Maxie Baughan takes over a team that's riding the crest of a four-game winning streak, the longest Cornell streak since the days of Ed Marinaro. Baughan spent the last three years as defensive coordinator for the NFL's Detroit Lions. With only three starters returning from last year's defense and four starters returning to the offense. Baughan will have his hands full.

Sean McGuire and Stewart Mitchell were fighting over the starting quarterback slot when this story went to press. Baughan will pick the starter September 12. Neither is unusually talented.

Brown (5-5, 3-4): Quarterback Joe Potter returns to the scene after setting a Brown season total offense record last year. But Potter won't have an easy time, as his top five passing targets all graduated. The running game is in slightly better shape, with a deep crop of runners and a solid offensive line.

Defensively, the Bruins should have some trouble against the pass, as the Bruins lost all three starters in the secondary, including honorable mention All-American Jeff Gradinger.

With a few breaks and some quick stabilizing of the receiver corps and the secondary, Brown could pose a threat to the more viable title contenders--though not to November 5 opponent Penn State.

Columbia (1-6, 1-9): If offense equalled football, Columbia would control the Ivies. Eight starters return to the offense that averaged 23.6 points per game last year. Ivy Player of the Year John Witkowski returns to quarterback the team after setting 32 game, season and career records (six of them national) in his first two years on the varsity. Fellow honorable mention All-Americans Don Lewis and Bill Reggio return at wide receiver.

But the running game is weak, and the defense is weaker. The defensive line is inexperienced. The offense is good enough to provide a few upset victories, but without major improvements in the defense, Columbia will be out of the running by the end of the fall.

Princeton (3-7, 3-4): The Tigers managed negative 18 yards on the ground against Harvard last year. They may not fare much better this time around. The passing attack looks worse, with the throwing end of the Brent Woods-to-Kevin Guthrie connection lost to graduation. It'll be up to Steve Cusma (who punted last year) to get the ball to Guthrie. All in all, only seven starters return for what should be little more than a rebuilding year.