Touchdowns to Torts: A Sportscaster Turns 1L

By Marie B. Morris

Is civil procedure more exciting than illegal procedure?

Not necessarily, said first-year law student Brian G. Leary.

Leary should know. Until a month ago, when he gave up his job to start school. Leary was WCVB's weekend sports anchor, as well as general sports reports (For more on the Law School's first weeks, see story page Six).

"There's a big difference between seeing how Wade Boggs did last night and reading what I am how. "Leary said, but added that law school has been his goal since his undergraduate days at Holy Cross, where he majored in Political science.

Earning money for school at a radio station in nearby Worcester. Leary found himself doing color commentary on football. He moved up to the position of full-time play-by-play announcer after graduation in 1977.

In 1979, Leary switched to television, working for "Just about every station in Boston and Providence" until he landed the position at Channel Five in May of 1980.

"Every Year it came decision time-to go to law school as I had planned or to take a different job, "recalled the 27-year -old father of one, who this spring applied only to Harvard.

"I figured, it's supposed to be the best-and I was giving up something lucrative and comfortable for something relatively insecure, "he explained.

"He's a natural for the business," said Channel Five's night producer. Stan Wojcik, of Leary. "He's very bright, quick, and has the right personality to be successful."

"I don't know what his study habits are like, though-he'll have to work that out," Wojcik added.

Leary said he is finding the hours more difficult than the workload, "never having taken before noontime classes, even in college."

But the time constraints associated with first-year law studies are nothing new for the Leary family. Catherine C. Leary said, adding that the only difference is her husband's hours. "I didn't I see him very much before she remarked.

But work is work. Leary insisted, adding that the alternative is having to go into the Red Sox locker room after every game and try to talk to Jim Rice."

Leary won't sign off from television completely; he will continue to host Candlepin Superbowl, as bowling show that airs Saturdays, his producer said. He may also be filling in from time to time said his wife.

After graduation Leary said he hopes for a career which combines broadcasting with the law, but he's not sure, whether he'll be on or off the air. "I am hoping to get bit by some legal lightning bolt in my three years here-I won't write off the last six years," he added.

His celebrity among his classmates hasn't