The Core Truth

Passing Requirements

By Marie B. Morris

Just when they thought it was safe to go back in the academic water, this year's seniors and juniors find their "transitional" General Education and Core requirements creeping up on them. Below are answers to the six most frequently asked questions about what to take.

Q. What exactly are the General Education and Core requirements that apply to the Classes of 1984 and '85?

A Every senior and junior must take two full or hour half-courses in each of Social Sciences. Natural Sciences and Humanities. However, to make the Core requirement simpler to complete. Core courses have "full weight" counting twice as much as other courses. Courses in your concentration will cover Gen Ed requirements--i.e., Social Science for Government concentrators. Nat Sci for Biology. Humanities for English. In addition, outside of that field, you'll still need two full or four half courses for "distribution" Seniors need to take Core courses while juniors have to complete six.

Q. Do Core courses taken pass/fail count for Core credit?

A. No, but under certain circumstances they can count for Gen Ed It a senior or junior has taken any two graded half courses outside their area of concentration, the rest-including Core courses can be taken Pass/fail. However, the fastest way to fulfill the Gen Ed requirement--that you take two "full weight" courses in each area outside your concentration--is obviously to take two graded Core courses. For example, to fulfill your Humanities requirement, you can take English 101a full-year courses. This constitutes two half-courses, both taken for a grade. If you now decide to take a Core course to finish off the Gen Ed requirement, you can take it pass fail.

Q. What courses count retroactively for Core credit?

A. As of last year, some introductory-level science courses carry the weight of Core courses. Physics 1, 5, 11b, 12a, 55a and b: Chemistry 5a and b, 10, 15, 20a and b. Biochemistry 10a: Geology 14 and Astronomy 14 are Science A. Biology 7a and b and Biochemistry 10b count as Science B.

In addition, English 12a and b and History 1653, which became Core courses this year (Literature and Arts A-40a and b, and Historical Study B-42 respectively) count for Core credit even if they were taken earlier as departmental offerings.

Q. Do General Education courses count "full weight?"

A. No, not if they were taken last year, when the Core Curriculum was fully installed. This year's and last year's--Gen Ed electives count the same way as any other course that isn't Core Any Gen Ed courses taken before last year do count full weight.

Q. Do courses taken pass/fail count for "distribution"--that is, the four courses outside the Gen Ed field your concentration falls in?

A. Yes.

Q. What requirements apply to students who have taken leaves of absence or are Advanced Standing?

A. The requirements that were in place at the time the student registered for the first time apply. In other words, a student who entered with the Class of `85 and took a year off will graduate with the Class of `86 but fulfill the Gen Ed and Core requirements that apply to the Class of '85