Accident Victims

Short Takes

Two Leverett House residents are in better condition and one remains a serious condition after a car crash near Natick, Mass., hospitalized them early Sunday.

Wayne L. Johnson '84 and Peter B. Strong '85 were both out of intensive care and listed in fair condition at Leonard Morse Hospital in Natick, said John H. Lutrell, hospital director of community relations.

"It appears that it certainly is an improved prognosis," Lutrell said. "The period of recuperation for Johnson and Strong will be extensive."

Roland T. Heacock '84 remained in serious condition in intensive care at Massachusetts General Hospital, a hospital spokesman said.

Natick Police said yesterday that they found the car overturned on Route 27 with the three students trapped inside around 1:30 a.m.

"They were driving too fast for conditions and hit a pole," while rounding a corner, a police officer who asked not to be identified said.

The car flipped over and the driver, Heacock, was pinned in the car by a fire hydrant which went through the windshield, the officer said.

Police officials did not know if alcohol was involved in the accident. And Lutrell declined to comment on the results of blood tests which could reveal toxicity.