Undergraduates Have Limited Privileges on Computer System

By Christopoer J. George

Here is a capsule summary of the opportunities available to students interested in using computers right now.

Upon registration, all Harvard undergraduates automatically receive low-priority accounts on the Harvard computer system.

A low-priority account allows the user to log on to the system at any time, but at times when the system is overloaded, use may be restricted.

All students receive a limited amount of computer time--or "computer money"--which restricts the overall amount of time they may spend on the computers.

Students may, however, purchase, additional accounts, some of which will allow them to perform such functions as text processing--which are unavailable on the regular account.

Graduate students in the Faculty of Arts and Sciences are entitled to high-priority accounts, which they may purchase for $200 per year: these are primarily used for research.

Undergraduate computing is done mainly on the computers located at the Science Center--known as the Faculty of Arts and Sciences Computer System (FASCS).

The system consists of seven large main-frame computers which are linked to approximately 130 terminals located in the basement of the Science Center. Six additional terminals are located in Leverett and Currier Houses.

Students enrolled in specified computer courses have restricted use of two VAX 11/780 computers.

The other computers include a VAX 11/780, two VAX 11/750's and two PDP 11/70's.

Programming languages available include FORTRAN, BASIC PASCAL, C. ECL, PPL, LISP, AN and MACRO II. Utility programs are available for text editing, document preparation and statistical analysis.

Documentation for all of these is available at the Science Center Stockroom.

The facility is open year-round and during the school year "terminal watchers"--undergraduate programming assistants--are available from 9 a.m. through midnight.

Access to the computers may be restricted as a result of computer conduct rules violations.

These include examining information on another user's account without the owner's permission: students who have been given accounts may not disclose their passwords or make the account available to others: "disruptive and annoying behavior" in the computer room is prohibited and it is illegal to send fraudulent "mail" through the electronic mail system or any "annoying or obscene messages," according to the rules.