Looking at Eating Disorders

THE MAIL

To the Editors of The Crimson:

We would like to clarify some points addressed in Katherine M. Peterson's article, "Harvard Joins Fight Against Bulimia (11/28/83). We formed Eating Problems Outreach, a student organization, because we are convinced that the issue of eating disorders needs to be further addressed on campus. The issue of eating disorders is not one of "us" (those who suffer or have suffered from eating disorders) and "them" (those who are "well"). We are all members of a culture that associates women's physical appearance with their value as human beings. None of us can remain entirely unaffected by these destructive values.

Our concerns include the problems of bulimia and anorexia nervosa. In addition, we wish to address the more common concerns of women regarding body size, weight, and diet. We regard these problems as a logical outgrowth of a culture that makes obsessive and unrealistic demands of thinness on women.

As a student organization, Eating Problems Outreach hopes to provide a non-threatening resource for students with concerns about eating. It is therefore an important addition to a wider network of resources in the Harvard-Radcliffe Community. Each person's concerns and needs are unique. Consequently, the many varied options for help on campus should be mentioned. The University Health Services, as Ms. Peterson noted, is currently running support groups to aid women with eating disorders. The Bureau of Study Council is also an important source of advice and support, since eating concerns are frequently intertwined with many other issues in a student's life. Room 13 and Response are two student-run services that provide telephone and drop-in help. They are an excellent source of peer support in a non-threatening atmosphere.

At present, Eating Problems Outreach is not holding group meetings specifically to support sufferers of eating disorders: the meetings are primarily organizational. For example, we are working with advisers at the Bureau of Study Council and UHS, and with their help are planning to hold peer support groups beginning spring semester As many members are "recovered" sufferers of eating disorders, we may be a good source of empathy and support. We encourage anyone interested in any aspect of eating problems to join our organization.

We would like to stress the breadth of the issues that Eating Problems Outreach addresses. The personal effect of eating disorders is one primary concern. We hope to respond to this concern with our forthcoming support groups. In addition, our educational efforts are part of our desire to erase the stigma of eating disorder and the isolation felt by those affected. We hope to increase public understanding of the problem. Our organization plans to distribute an informational pamphlet for spring semester, and to hold a spring workshop comprised of a speaker forum and small group discussions.

Eating concerns are a deeply personal and painful issue for many women. More broadly, the obsession with women's thinness is a social problem that both women and men must address. We must make the connection between the prevalence of eating disorders and our cultural demands on women. Eating problems Outreach is beginning to explore these issues. Juliet Faithfull '84   Merch E. Rerty '84-5   Sarsh Sewell '84