Archbishop Speaks on Racism: Church Must Alter Attitudes

At a speech at the Law School last night, Archbishop of Boston Bernard F. Law '53 reaffirmed the Church's role in American society in light of recent debate over the Church's alleged intrusion into American politics.

Law, who was invited to Harvard by the Law School's Racially Motivated Violence Project, pointed out that the Church's role is "distinct" from that of the state.

"I would not endorse a political candidate, a political party, nor say whom I will vote for, or whom somebody else should vote for," Law said. "But I will raise issues."

The Church has "the goal of conversion, change of heart, change of attitude," Law stated, adding that it has striven toward this goal in the field of racially motivated violence.

He listed a number of the Church's and his personal achievements, including editorializing against racism in church newspapers and organizing adult literacy campaigns.

Law said that he attempts "to bring all those who listen to my voice to that conversion of heart" concerning racism and other issues.

Abortion

Another issue fit for Church influence, Law said in response to questions from reporters, is abortion.

"Our whole system considers the right to life as an inalienable right," he said. "We are talking about the denial of the right of life of 1.5 million humans."

But Law was apparently less than eager to speak on the much-discussed topic.

When Dean of the Law School James Vorenberg '49 prefaced a question to Law with the statement, "This may sound like a question about abortion but it isn't." Law replied, "Thank you."