Rashof Dumpster Fires Sweeps Harvard Square

The latest and biggest of a two-week rash of trash fires in Harvard Square broke out in a 17 Dunster St. dumpster last Saturday night, September 29, singeing nearby trees but causing no major damage, the fire department said.

The blaze, whose cause has still nor been determined, was reported at 8:17 pm and took approximately 40 minutes to extinguish, said Edward Dudley, Cambridge Deputy Fire Chief.

The Fire Department's arson squad does not plan to investigate any of the dumpster fires, officials said. "No matter how small [a fire] is, it's important but whether it's worth a full fledged investigation is another matter," said Dudley.

Firestorm

The previous Saturday, September 22, the Fire Department extinguished five dumpster fires between 10 and 11 pm; 10:13 at 89 Winthrop Street, 10:23 at 30 Brattle Street, 10:30 at 17 Dunster Street, 10:46 at 6 Holyoke Street, and 11:04 at 51 Brattle Street.

Shopkeepers along Dunster St. said they feel the fires have definitely been set, and claim that teenagers who loiter in the area are responsible.

"I know it's arson," said John Kelly, Manager of Herrell's Ice Cream directly across the street from the 17 Dunster Street dumpster "People are fascinated by fire. I saw people actually singing by it and warming their hands."

Tom Campbell, a Manager at Au Bon Pain, reported the fire. "I saw the punk rockers out here discussing who was going to light it. The next thing I saw was the fire just started and I came in and called the Fire Department."