Icewomen Catch and Cage Bruins, 6-1: Ward Leads Charge With Two Scores

By Bob Cunha

The Harvard women's hockey team netted four consecutive second period goals last night at Brown's Meehan Auditorium to blast past an outmanned Bruin squad, 6-4.

"We really exploded in the second half of the game," junior Co-Captain Genie Simmons said after the game. "We started playing like a real team."

A good team, too. After Brown jumped out to a 2-0 lead in the first 11 minutes of play, the Crimson got on the scoreboard when Liz Ward beat Bruin goalie Maura Spaulder at 13:46.

Brown regained its two-goal advantage on Lisa Bishop's second rally of the game early in the second stanza, but two minutes later, the Harvard fireworks began.

Dinny Starr started it off, taking a Ward feed and knocking it deep into the Brown net.

Just nine seconds later Ward who finished the game with four points added another goal to tie the contest at three.

Midway through the second period, freshman Julie Saner lit the lamp, and before the ambush was over. Karen Carney and Kelly Landry had each shipped in a score to give the stickwomen an insurmountable edge.

The host Bruins tallied a goal late in the game, but Harvard held on and escaped Providence with a 6-4 victory.

Crimson goaltender Tracy Kimmel turned away 20 Brown shots cement the Crimson defensive efforts.

Spaulder did a heroic job in net for the Bruins, making 35 saves on the evening.

The Crimson victory--its first ever at Brown--upped the team's record to 1-1.