Jewish and Catholic Students Practice Ecumenism at Hillel

By Joshua L. Dunaief

Instead of discussing traditional dinner topics such as an oppressive work load or an oppressive dinner, 25 students gathered at Hillel earlier this month and talked about the differences between Catholicism and Judaism.

The students are members of the Harvard Ecumenical Society, which is sponsored by the Catholic Center and the Hillel to "encourage interfaith dialogue," said John E. MacInnis, a chaplain at the Catholic Center.

"We're here to learn from other," said Dina R. Gerber '88, one of the Hillel organizers of the dinner.

The group, which had its first meeting November 5, will continue to get together for dinners about twice a month for discussions, speakers, and films, said Lisa M. Gordis '88, the other Hillel organizer.

Last week's discussion centered on the differences between growing up Jewish and growing up Catholic, said Edmund D. Spevack '86, the organizer from the Catholic Center. Members discussed differences in education and emphasis on religion in their relative upbringings. The majority concluded that Jews know more about their religion than Catholics know about theirs, he added.

Neither Spevack nor Gordis agreed with this conclusion. "Most of the Jews there are more knowledgeable than the average Jew. Most Jews I know are very ignorant about their religion," said Gerber.

Different Backgrounds

The group also discussed differences in family life and education and the significance of the Holocaust, added Spevack.

Participants said they learned a great deal from the discussion.

Spevack's interest in the subject may be in large part responsible for ecumenism's success at Harvard, one participant suggested.