Wilkinson to Be Captain

Junior linebacker Brent Wilkinson has been named the 112th captain of the Harvard football team.

"This means an awful lot to me," the Mt. Vernon, Ohio native said yesterday. "We have a very close team, and to be singled out with this vote of confidence is very special.

"I can't wait for next season. It begins tomorrow."

Wilkinson, who called the defensive signals for the Crimson this season, deemed the selection "a mild surprise."

After playing in eight games as a sophomore, the 6-ft., 2-in., 220-lb. Wilkinson became a starter this year, replacing 1983 Crimson Captain Joe Azelby.

Against Columbia, in his first start, Wilkinson intercepted a pass and returned it 45 yards for a touchdown.

The Economics concentrator finished third on the team in total tackles this year with 53 first-hits and 24 assists for a total of 77.

The Quincy House resident was captain of his Mt. Vernon High School football team, set school marks for tackles in a game (30) a season (202) and career (over 400), ran track and wrestled.

"It's a great choice," said Harvard Coach Joe Restic. "Brent's a player he prepares well, he does a lot of work in the off season and he will get everybody ready.

"He's a kid of great intensity and he will give the team that intensity"

"With Roger [Caron] gone and Vigs [Mark Vignali] gone, they'll say we'll have gaping holes," the captain elect said. "But we have a lot of good young people working hard in practice who have been pushing the starters.

"There are plenty of qualified people there."