Classics Scholar to Direct Center for Hellenic Studies

The Harvard-affiliated Center for Hellenic Studies in Washington, D.C. late last week named a new director from among the Faculty.

Mellon Professor of the Humanities Zeph Stewart will take at least a one-year leave of absence from the Classics Department to "plan and coordinate the center's activities," he said yesterday. A member of the faculty since 1953, Stewart will assume command this summer.

Study Complex

Founded in 1961 by Harvard and the Old Dominion Foundation--now called the Mellon Foundation--the center serves as a "residential study complex" for post-doctoral scholars studying classical Greek culture, Stewart said.

He added that his task is to bring the predominantly European group of eight junior fellows and a smaller number of senior fellows in contact with American classicists.

When Stewart takes over for current Director Bernard M.W. Knox, who will retire at the end of June, the Harvard professor said he plans to make a couple of changes in the center.

Stewart, hopes first to increase the amount of advertising for the fellowship, especially in Europe. At present the center only receives about 35 applications each year for the eight fellowships.

Stewart's other goal is to increase communication between the center and, another Harvard institution for Byzantine Studies, located at nearby Dumbarton Oaks also in Washington, D.C.

At Harvard Stewart has taught the popular core course. Historical Studies B-5. "The World of the Early Christians," and Greek A. "Beginning Greek."

Despite his leave of absence, Stewart says he does not plan to abandon teaching permanently. He said he hopes he can arrange to be in Cambridge three days a week after the next academic year. He said, however, that he does not foresee the opportunity to teach during his first year as the center's director.