Requetmen Roll; Prepare For Tigers

Victory Over Dartmouth Sets Up Title Showdown

By Benjamin R. Reder

Injuries. They have been the name of the game for the Harvard men's squash team all season. They weren't a factor in yesterday's 8-1 triumph at Dartmouth, but they could make all the difference in the world (or rather, in the nation) on Saturday at 2 p.m., when the racquetmen play their toughest foe of the year, Princeton, in a match that should determine the national intercollegiate nine-man championship.

The Crimson crushed the Big Green without the services of both Richard Jackson, out with the flu, and Peter Dinneen, who has suffered a mysterious injury to his leg. In addition, second seed David Boyum, last year's number two player in the country, has been sidelined all season with a wrist injury.

Even without these three key players, six of the Crimson's nine starters won in straight games and only number five David Segal lost, falling to Chris Olsen, 11-15, 18-13, 15-2, 12-15, 12-15.

But then again, Dartmouth isn't Princeton.

The return of Boyum, Dinneen and Jackson is vital to Harvard's chances of defeating the Tigers, and retaining the nine-man title it won last year.

Jackson will probably play. The flu isn't crippling and, if worse comes to worst, he will play sick.

Dinneen isn't sure. He doesn't even know exactly what is wrong with him. He has been playing well. He defeated the Mexican number three player, 3-0, Sunday in the national championships, and if at all possible, he will be on the court Saturday.

David Boyum has been nursing his injury for months. For the last two weeks, he has been on the court trying out his wrist, but there are still some shots that are difficult for him to hit. At full strength, he would assure the racquetmen at least one victory, since the only player who beat him last year in the singles championships was the Crimson's Kenton Jernigan. Injured, he could still be very tough, and though listed as questionable for the Princeton match, he will probably play.

The rest of the squad has been playing well. Jernigan, the first seed, is fresh from a victory in the singles championship in Cleveland and appears unbeatable. Co-captains Jim Lubowitz and Spencer Brog have gained valuable experience playing in the first and second positions this season and may be the best in the country at numbers four and five.

The question is how will the racquetmen react to their loss to Mexico in Cleveland? Lubowitz thinks it has not hurt them at all. "It would be impossible for us to have more incentive... We want to beat Princeton more than anything.

The Crimson has been training hard in preparation for this match Coach Dave Fish wants them to be prepared for any situation, possibly to tire the Tigers out early and give the Crimson an advantage late in the matches. He expects them to be mentally and physically ready for the challenge.

The bottom of the Crimson lineup could be key. Freshman Joe Dowling has been improving all season, and is now at the top of his game. He has worked his way up the Harvard team ladder and played for the first team in Cleveland, defeating his Mexican opponent in nationals.

Both David Segal and Mike Mack are seasoned veterans, who are used to the pressure of big matches. Both have played well this season and should prove stiff competition for their foes from New Jersey. If the top seeds on the Crimson squad run into trouble, Segal, Mack and Dowling may pull the match out.

The biggest intangible in the match is probably the home-court advantage. Though they have played well all season, the Crimson has been especially tough in Hemenway Gym. With the stands full, as they undoubtedly will be, the Crimson players may be a little more pumped up.

Harvard 8, Dartmouth 1

1. Kenton Jernigan (H) d. Sam Stevens (D), 3-0

2. Jim Lubowitz (H) d. Alex Cuthbert (D), 3-1

3. Spencer Brog (H) d. Mack Paul (D), 3-0

4. Joe Dowling (H) d. Dave Bough (D), 3-0

5. Chris Olsen (D) d. David Segal (H), 3-2

6. Mike Mack (H) d. Lawrence Siekind (D) 3-0

7. Kevin Jernigan (H) d. Rob Mellen (D), 3-1

8. Tal Johnson (H) d. Ned Groves (D), 3-0

9. Sven Krogius (H) d. Clarence Grant (D), 3-0