Great Muffin Caper Ends In Triumph

Winthrop Residents Win Breakfast Battle

Students at Winthrop House had an unusual complaint about their dining hall issue muffins--there weren't enough of them. But after a brief popular uprising, the muffins will now grace Winthrop breakfast tables four times a week, up from the current twice-a-week showings.

More than 100 Winthrop residents earlier this month signed a petition posted in the dining hall calling for more frequent muffin appearances, Richard J. Montville, manager of college dining halls, said yerterday.

Montville, who received the petition last week, said he readily capitulated to the students' demands, adding, that he was pleased the muffin enthusiasts had taken a diplomatic approach to the issue.

Sigrid C. Gabler '85, the petition's author, said yesterday she decided to take action on the muffin shortage after the coveted item was omitted from a breakfast earlier this month.

Explains Gabler's companion, Susan M. Kattlove '85, "We were disgusted because the dining hall was supposed to have muffins and they didn't; they had them in Lowell instead."

"Muffins seemed to be the most popular breakfast food, so we decided it would be great to have muffins every day," Gabler said, adding that she later scaled down that request in deference to donut fans.

Under the new muffins regimen, donuts will still he available twice a week.

Gabier said she draw up the petition because, "I thought if we took the time to write a letter to the head of food services, he wouldn't say no because we were expressing an interest in what they had to offer," adding. "They must be interested in what students like.