Minority Focus

BLACK ISSUES

MINORITY GROUPS at Harvard usually get attention when they are knee-deep in some sort of controversy. Protests for a Third World Center and most recently, demands to put minority activities on the Freshman Calendar have focused the campus spotlight on minority organizations.

But the series of events sponsored by the Black Students Association (BSA) during February. Black History Month--may have raised a greater consciousness regarding minority concerns than any of the recent confrontations with the University.

In addition to traditional parties and dinners usually held to encourage greater Black student unity, the BSA sponsored seminars on important minority isues--affirmative action. Blacks, in science and medicine and informative films on Black history. Two talent displays--one put on by the recently revived Association of Black Radcliffe Women--showed the result of long term planning, and an organized effort to coordinate Radcliffe and Harvard efforts.

More important, the events drew a diverse crowd of patrons, particularly significant considering the charges of separatism frequently associated with minority groups.

Hopefully these efforts will continue throughout the rest of the year, with the BSA taking the forefront in issues at Harvard and throughout the community. The group will gain prestige and a reputation for unity and coherence rather than an image focused on dissent.