Eckstein

sonnel for undergraduate courses, Spence said

"He would often say, 'You cannot overestimate the talents and intelligence of undergraduates,'" stated Assistant Professor of Economics Lawrence H. Goulder, the head teaching follow of Ec 10.

"I think this helps to explain the success of Social Analysis 10. He understood very well what perspective the undergraduates had," Goulder added.

"He was straightforward, honest, and he really cared about people-colleagues, students, employees," said Dean of the Faculty Henry Rosovsky.

In addition to what colleges called Eckstein's "humanity," the professor maintained a forceful presence among the faculty.

"He did all his in the department professors said.

"Until his entered the hospital he seemed quite active and strong," said Goulder.

Born in Ulm, Germany, in 1927, Eckstein to England in 1938, coming to the United States a year later. He graduated from Princeton in 1952, than began his 32-year stay at Harvard.

After receiving his Ph.D. in 1955, Eckstein was promoted from instructor to assistant to professor before leaving for Washington, where he helped develop the Johnson Administration's Great Society program.

In 1959, he wrote one of the first systematic procedures for the Committee for Economic Development.

From 1959 to 1960 Eckstein served as technical director of the Joint Economic Committee of the U.S. Congress, worked on server other Presidential commission and was a consultant to a number of government agencies.

In addition to his academic work Eckstein served on the boards of numerous organizations, including Radcliffe College, Belmont Hill School, the Combined Jewish Philanthropies of Creaser Boston, investment firm Paine Webber Inc., and computer company, the Burroughs Organization.

He was also vice president of the American Economic Association in 1981 and was president of the Eastern Economic Association at the time of his death.

Eckstein is survived by his wife Harrier Mirkin Eckstein '55; a son Warren, two daughters, Felicia '85 and June; his mother Mrs. Hedwig Eckstein; and a brother Bernard.

John F. Baughman contributed to this article.