Carrabino, Ferry Named Cager Co-Captains

Duo Will Inherit One of Harvard's Top Basketball Teams

Harvard juniors Joe Carrabino and Bob Ferry were named co-captains of the 1984-85 Harvard men's basketball team yesterday.

The two cagers will lead a squad that finished 15-11 this year, only the Crimson's second winning season in 11 years. This year's squad also turned in a tie for Harvard's best-ever Ivy League finish, a 9-5 record that put the Harvard squad just one-game behind champion Princeton.

The duo will replace this year's captains, Ken Plutnicki and Monroe Trout.

Captain Carrabino

Carrabino's honor culminates a season that saw the Encino, Cal. native fight his way back from a painful back injury that sidelined him for all but two games last year.

And down the stretch this year, the 6-ft., 8-in. forward became the Ivy's most dominant player, leading Harvard to eight victories in its last 10 games and establishing himself as a leading candidate for Ivy Player of the Year honors.

"There's no doubt that we've got the best player in the league in Joe Carrabino," Harvard Coach Frank McLaughlin said last night.

Captain Ferry

Ferry, who inherited most of the Crimson's scoring duties in Carrabino's absence last year, returned to his role as the squad's leading guard this year. The 6-ft., 4-in. guard led the nation in free throw shooting percentage for much of this season, before slipping to number three in the country.

Carrabino eventually overtook Ferry to become the Crimson's leader from the charity stripe and the nation's second most accurate free throw shooter.