Reagan

THE MAIL

To the Editors of The Crimson:

Reagan's remark at the National Prayer Breakfast in which he speculated on the power of prayer in terms of "megatonnage" betrays just how casually he views the use of thermo-nuclear weapons. Not long ago that casual view was exemplified by administration talk of "nuclear warfighting capability", "nuclear warning shots", "survivability", and "twenty million acceptable deaths". Pressure from public opinion in an election year has cosmeticized Reagan's verbage on the issue. But his actions are plain enough.

At any time, our world can be reduced to a frozen radioactive desert strewn with the corpses of all species. Instead of working to reduce the possibility of a nuclear end, Reagan has increased the likelihood of that end. He has done his atmost to alienate us from not only the Soviet leadership, but its citizens as well. He has spent three years stalling the arms control talks. And he has launched us on a massive nuclear build-up, including research and development of nuclear arsenals in space.

We started the nuclear arms race, and have led every step of the way. Every new weapons system has given the world less security and taken more control over our lives away from us. The fate of the Earth will be decided by split-second decisions by U.S and Soviet computers. Mutually Assured Destruction was achieved years ago. The push to go any further beyond that point indicates an unwillingness to understand the difference between bows and arrows and nuclear weapons. Such an unwillingness points to a profound indifference to life. In that indifference. I suggest that our President represents a minority opinion. Bob Strempel