Deans Ask Pi Eta To Close Doors

Club Refuses, But Apologizes

By Victoria G.T. Basetti and Charles T. Kurzman

The Pi Eta Speakers Club this week rejected suggestion from College officials that it shut down in the wake of controversy over a publicized newsletter wich refered to women as "slobbering bovines."

The suggestion to close the club was one of several Dean of the College John B. Fox '59 and Dean of Students Archie C. Epps III made to the Alumni Board of the exclusive all-male club at 45 Mt. Auburn St.

The administrators met with members of the board Tuesday night, but they refused to detail other recommendations they made.

Fox yesterday issued a public statement condemning the Pi Eta newsletter and reaffirming the College's committment to "a community open equally to men and women of talent." (See text, page 6)

Offensive

The letter "articulates a view of women so offensive that it constitutes a repudiation of some of the College's fundamental values," Fox stated. "In addition, the letter makes a mockery of basic standards of civility, which the College takes seriously."

Instead of shutting down the club, the Pi Eta Alumni Board decided to pursue "constructive" measures of apology for the newsletter, said Robert B. Cleary '58, chairman of the board. He said the exact measures had not yet been determined.

In addition, earlier in the day, Pi Eta President Timothy J. Keating '85 delivered a letter to Fox apologizing for the newsletter.

Not Intended

"We understand that the language of the letter has given offense to some members of the Harvard community. This was not intended," said the letter, which the club's Alumni Board instructed Keating to write. "We apologize for the letter and sincerely regret any offense given or taken," Keating wrote. (See text. page 6).

Keating could not be reached for comment last night.

The newsletter, which was undated, has aroused a storm of protest from students across campus after its accidental release to the community last week. It refers to women invited to a club party as a "bevy of slobbering bovines fresh for the slaughter," among other statements alleged by protestors as sexist and violent.

More than 100 students picketed the club during a party Saturday night, protesting the newsletter.

A Start

The apology "is a start," and the Pi Eta should take "aggressive steps to demonstrate their recognition of the gravity of the situation," Fox said in an interview.

Fox's public statement, however, does not preclude other University action against the club, Harvard officials said.

"I don't think it is the final word, but I'm not sure yet that we are ready to talk publicly about the other steps," Epps said.

The student-faculty Committee on College Life will consider the issue today. Several members have stated that they will ask for punitive action to be taken against the club.

The College's Administrative Board discussed the issue for over half an hour on Tuesday and refused to rule out possible disciplinary action against individuals in the Pi Eta Club, sources said. The grounds for such action would be "conduct unbecoming of a Harvard student," they added.

Active Rule

The Pi Eta's Cleary said that the club's alumni will begin taking a more active role in Pi Eta administration. "Any correspondence is going to have to be passed by me and my board. No social events are going to be held without being passed by me and my board," Cleary said. "We are looking forward to working with [the current officers]."

Student leaders of the protest against the newsletter said they were pleased by the apology and Fox's statement but wanted more concrete acition against the club.

"I'm very glad that [Keating] did issue an apology," said Laura A. Haight '84, who organized Saturday's rally in front of the club. "I wish I could be sure that he and the members truly understood what was wrong with their letter. I think they think it was in bad taste and don't recognize the violence of the letter."

Haight and a group of other students have formed an ad hoc committee on the master in order to maintain pressure on the administration for action against the club.

Fox Statement

Fox's statement yesterday will now be distributed to House masters, the Administrative Board and the Undergraduate Council, administrators said.

In pledging committment to an open community in the statement, Fox also writes: "Although freedom to express individual ideas and viewpoints is essential, respect for others is a fundamental principle on which the College operates and which we are committed to preserve."

The following is a letter sent to Dean Fox by the president of the Pi Eta Speakers Club, Timothy J. Keuting '85. It was dated yesterday.

Dear Dean Fox:

A parody of our club newsletter intended for out membership has unfortunately received wide publicity.

In retrospect, the letter was a poor attempt at humor. It was not intended to nor does it represent the attitudes of the club's membership about any issue. We understand that the language of the letter has given offense to some member of the Harvard community. This was not intended. We apologize for the letter and sincerely regret any offense given or taken.

The Alumni Board of the club has expressed to the membership its serious cncern and has directed that this type of incident not reoccur.

Our club has been a contributive member of the Harvard community for 118 years. On behalf of our membership we confirm our continued respect for all members of the community.  Timothy J. Keating  President

The following is the statement released yesterday by Dtan of the College John B. Fas Jr. '59 on the PI Eta Club.

To Members of the Harvard College Community:

"The Official Pi Eta Speakers Club News letter" has ruised a topic of great concern to many members of the community. The club's officers have argued that the letter does not express views held by any of them, and that, on reflection, they regret the public misperception that they do hold such views. Nevertheless, the letter articulates a view of women so offensive that it constitutes a repudiation of some of the College's fundamental values. In addition, the letter makes a mockery of basic standards of civility, which the College takes seriously.

I should like to take this opportunity to make some observations about the circumstances of women in Harvard College and to express my concerns. During the past decade especially, we have made steady progress towards genuine coeducation. Our intention has been not merely to assure that classes and the Houses are open to women as well as to men Our ideal has been, and remains, an environment in which women and men of diverse backgrounds and interests might participate fully.

However, women in the College cannot help but be aware that historically Harvard has been a largely male environment and many of those who hear the responsibilities of teaching and administration are men. It is, therefore, not surprising that women are more likely than men to report feeling themselves to be less than full citizens of the College. From time to time our common enterprise of providing a successful coeducational experience has been disrupted and women have had occasion to worry that their place in the College may not be secure.

Students and others in the community should have no doubt that the College is irrevocably committed to the ideal of a community open equality to men and women of talent. Although freedom to express individual ideas' and viewpoints is essential, respect for others is a fundamental principle on which the College operates and which we are committed to preserve. I urge students who experience difficulties of any nature on account of their sex to enlist the help of officers of the College, such as Senior Tutors and Senior Advisers. Dean Marlyn McGrath Lewis and I both welcome opportunities to hear students' general concerns about the coeducational environment