Laxmen Stymie Princeton

Zone and Bergmann Prevail, 6-3

By Nick Wurf

Sedentary Princeton N.J. just doesn't prepare you for life in the big city.

Saturday the men's lacrosse team turned Ohiri Field into an urban battlefield and mugged the Tiger, 6-3.

The laxmen used a collapsing Zone at their end of the field that filled the penalty area with Harvard Square at rush hour congestion and sent the Tigers scurrying for the nearest cow pasture.

Princeton without a sharp shooting outside gun was frustrated all afternoon as it was unable to open the game up.

In the midst of the chaos was freshman goalie Mike Bergmann, who recorded 16 saves against only three goals and for the second straight contest put together the 60 minutes of consistent netminding that the Laxmen had been so desperately seeking throughout their early struggles.

For their own part, the Harvard attackmen didn't have much to do. Most of the contest was played in the Crimson end as the Tigers meandered aimlessly around the tightly-packed Zone unable to find a crack in the Cantabs defense.

But despite its limited opportunities, the Harvard offense effortlessly converted four-on-three opportunities with a quick passing attack. Twice Crimson midfielders scooped up loose balls faced downfield and set up the two-man show of Peter Follows and Martin Garcia.

Twice, Princeton goalie Otey Marshall could only turn around and pull the ball back out of the twine as the well timed passes left him helpless and out of position.

With just over nine minutes gone and the Tigers already beginning to feel the frustration that the Harvard Zone would cause them all day. Garcia found fellow attackman Rob Hawley right in front of Marshall. Marshall charged out but Hawley beat him easily for the opening score.

After the Tigers' Bill Donohue retaliated with two goals, it looked as though Harvard Coach Bob Scalise's congestion strategy might have been ill-advised. Further, the laxmen had collapsed after Yale had built up an early lead last weekend and went on to a 13-5 loss.

"When we were down, we kept playing hard," Garcia said. "I think that was the big lesson of the Yale game. If you go out and play hard you can beat anyone."

And just a minute after Princeton took the lead. Harvard turned its first big four-on-three into a goal as the Chris Pujols-Follows-Rob Hurlbut connection clicked.

Then the Tigers made a big mistake. With a loose ball in their own end, an attempted Princeton pass became Harvard goal number three. Hurlbut got credit for the score presumably for the pressure he put on the visitor that caused the error.

Garcia, Tim McCaffrey and Pujols got the final three scores as the Zone held the Tigers to but a single second-half tally.

Although the race for the Ivy title is over for the laxmen. Harvard is very much in the bunt for the New England crown. Last week found Brown UMass and UNH fighting the Crimson for the bragging rights of the northeast.

With only the Yale loss Harvard is 4-1 in New England play including victories over Brown and UNH. If the laxmen can topple UMass at Amherst on Wednesday and get by Dartmouth later, they should have a shot at the region's number-one ranking. Harvard, 6-3 at Ohiri Field Princeton (2-6)  2  0  1  0  --3 Harvard (5-5)2  1  2  1  --6

Goals H. Rob Huribut 2, Marin Gateia, lion McCallney, RobHawley, Chuspulols; P. Hill konahue, 2. Paul Faber.

Assists II. Peter Follows 2, Garein, Janne Wright, P. Charlie Stallwell

Save, H. Mike Bergnnina 16; p.Otey Marshall, 10.