Then It's Off to England

Three Netwomen Will Make Tour

By Frank M.K. Tse

The sports rivalry between Harvard and Yale runs deep and strong. But for two weeks this summer, both sides will try to bury the hatchet--or rather, the racket--as women tennis players from both schools team up for a tour of exhibition matches in England.

Hosted by Oxford and Cambridge Colleges in England, the "unofficial" June-July tour will mark the second time players from Harvard and Yale have traveled together to Britain.

A team from Cambridge (England) is planning to participate in a similar tour of the United States this September.

"It's more of a cultural trip than anything else," says junior Elizabeth Evans, who along with senior Erica Schulman and junior and team captain Debbie Kaufman will comprise the Harvard contingent.

The Yale trio has not yet been selected.

"I don't think the competition will be all that strong," Evans adds. The Crimson is currently the 15th ranked women's tennis team in the nation and headed for the national tourney.

Besides playing teams from Oxford and Cambridge Colleges, the Harvard-Yale six-woman team will compete against English country teams and finish the tour with a professional tournament in Felixstowne.

Players were chosen for their past contributions to the team, Evans says. But in such a tour, winning will obviously take a backseat.

"We'll get a chance to compare our athletic program with comparable universities in England," says Kaufman, who along with Evans and Schulman was-chosen by a three-person committee of the Athletic Department. "It'll be nice to see another culture."

Glare, Huns

An added bonus on the tour will be a stop to watch several matches at the prestigious Wimbeldon Tournament.

For Schulman, a graduating senior this year, the tour will also be the last time for her to represent Harvard in sports competition.