Summer School Tightens Ban On Door-To-Door Solicitation

By Laura E. Gomez

In what is described as a security precaution, the Summer School has cracked down on door-to-door solicitation in the dormitories which house some 2500 of its students.

The measure, which administrators said would decrease the chances of theft, will present student groups--such as Friends of the Spartacus Youth League. The Harvard Crimson, and Harvard Student Agencies (HSA)--from their traditional night-time canvassing.

During the first three weeks of each regular term, and in past summer terms, students have been allowed to approach students in their rooms in order to sell subscriptions, distribute publications, or sell tickets to functions, said the College's Dean of Students Archie C. Epps III.

But Dean of Students for the Summer School Hugh M. Flick '68 said yesterday that "an important role of the dean of students is to project the Summer School students from people offering or selling things."

Early last week Flick barred Crimson canvassers from the dorms and later said he would not permit door-to-door delivery of the newspaper as well.

In an unusual intervention in the operations of the Summer School by College officials. Epps asked Flick to reconsider, and the dean did agree to allow delivery but stood firm against soliciting.

"I think the fundamental issue is whether the Summer School values the contribution that organizations can make to their students' Harvard experience," Epps said yesterday.

HSA, another student organization adversely affected by the more stringent enforcement, will continue distributing flyers, but will have to submit them to Flick's office for approval prior to giving them to students.

Advertisements from 33 Dunster St., for example which offer a free glass of wine with dinner, will not get through the Summer School's review process. HSA spokesmen said they had distributed this type of flyer as recently as last summer.

Student organizations will pass their information along solely in the dining halls for the remainder of the summer.

Crimson Business Manager Jonathan M. Weintraub '85 said that the new policy was likely, to hurt The Crimson financially, though he could not estimate the exact amount of the losses.

While some proctors said the new stiffer policy was appropriate for high school students, several objected to its application of college-age and older Summer School students.

"Everyone at the college level has been away from home, they should have the right to see everything and make their own choice," said one proctor who asked not to be identified.

No link between the newly enforced policy and less crime has been established, but Flick said. "There hasn't been a major theft so far."

"Of course, I'm not naive enough to attribute that to this policy," he added.

Epps said he plans to review the policy before next summer, making sure to inform student groups in advance of any changes.