Spikers Destroy Wheaton in Season Opener

Women Cruise 15-8, 15-7, 15-6

By Jeffrey A. Zucker

After a shaky start last night, the Harvard women's volleyball team bounced back to crush a host Wheaton squad, 15-8, 15-7, 15-6.

The impressive win in the Crimson's season opener in Norton, Mass put Harvard's record at 1-0.

It took the first game, however, for the Cantabs to lose their early jitters and take control of the weak Wheaton squad.

After going down 3-2 and being tied at five in the first game, the Crimson took off behind the powerful serving of junior Danielle Schneider.

No Autograph, Please

Four points in a row from Schneider paved the way for the victory in the first game, and after that, it was an easy coast for the obviously more talented visiting Crimson squad.

Schneider provided three straight points off her serve twice in the second game, while Harvard Co-Captain Coco Trumbull did the same once.

Though Wheaton provided little indication of how talented the Harvard squad really is, Trumbull said the victory "gave us a little confidence," adding, though, that the team "must play a little more solid."

The Crimson will get the shot pretty soon, what with Boston College visiting the Indoor Athletic Building Saturday at 2 p.m.