Anonymous Donation Rescues Bio 7b

$5000 Check Revives Cancelled Labs

On Wednesday, an unidentified man walked up to Karel F. Liem, Bigelow Professor of Ichthyology, after his Biology 7b lecture and offered to bail out the financially troubled introductory class.

According to Liem, the benefactor, whom he said is not an undergraduate, offered him a "blank check," and her filled it out for $5000.

The anonymous donation came after Liem last week told the large class that union he received additional funding the course would face serious problems. including, cancelled labs and review sessions and the possibility of shutting down completely.

The financial dilemma arose last winter when the professor decided to expand the course syllabus with a section on a highly sophisticated computer technique which measures human nerve and membrane functions.

Though Harvard loaned him one of the two IBM PC/XT computers he needed for the program last spring. Liem said officials refused his request for a second one, forcing him to spend approximately $10,000 of the course's allotted $20,000 to purchase the second machine.

To economize after the big expenditure, Liem said he had been forced to cut in other areas of the course, including a lab that would have had students perform experiments with seeds carried on the space shuttle.

Harvard officials, however, refused to reconsider he situation, claiming that Liem previously had been granted all he requested from the University.

"We went out of our way to provide him with whatever he requested, and we were informed by the Biology Department that the matter was settled, "said Dean of the Division of Applied Sciences Paul C. Martin '52. "I don't think this reflects at all on the University," he added.

Acceptance of the unusal donation does not run counter to University policy, said Schyler Hollingsworth, recording secretary, but he added that of the approximately 100 anonymous donations Harvard receives each year, few if any, have been of this nature.

Spence Scolded

Liem also claimed that Dean of the Faculty A. Michael Spence ignored repeated requests this summer for additional computer equipment.

Spence refused to comment on the issue yesterday.

According to Liem, the donor "had been listening to my lectures and said I should have peace of mind to teach.

"It's good to see there are some people who are concerned about good teaching, even if [Spencer] isn't," Liem said." I want to teach, but I don't want to spend a lot of time looking at administrative details. I shouldn't have to deal with these obstacles." he added.

Because of the gift, the course will operate at full force this year. But Liem complained that he "is not out of the woods yet."

"I am touched by his generosity, but it was not exactly the solution I was looking for," he added. "I'll ask for a computer again next year and if I don't get it I'll scream again. If they think they can shut me down, they're wrong."

Officials said that Liem is unlikely to receive special consideration next year unless he places his request for computers now.

Students rallied around their professor and have written letters to Martin and Spence asking to explain the why the money would have been denied. But, they were as surprised as their professor when the donation came through.

It was very risky for him (Liem) to bring the subject up in front of the class, but it was terrific that someone responded," said Lee Schwamm '85