The 'Lost City' Returns to Terra Firma

Folk Music Group Is Back With Guitars. Banjos

Members of the Harvard community will soon have the opportunity to rediscover the Lost City.

Up until a few years ago, the Lost City Folk Society put the University's folk music enthusiasts in touch with one another, sponsored student coffee houses, brought folk performers to Cambridge, and provided services such as workshops for its members, according to Adam J. Sorscher '84, a past member of the group.

While doing his "American Folkways" show at WHRB last year. Steven A. Maddox '85 said, he realized students interested in folk music had trouble getting together.

The Lost City had found a new champion.

Maddox, who says he has no official title because he does not think titles fit well with the "low-key" image of the group he is reviving, said the "only purpose [of the Lost City] is to help people to enjoy themselves and music."

To that end, the Lost City will hold two meetings each month, organize coffee houses where students can perform, and possibly activities like concerts by area artists and one-day workshops for members to learn from local folk musicians. Maddox said.

"The main thing," said Maddox, "is regular meetings of people with guitars and banjos."

The Lowell House Common Room and Currier Fishbowl, where the Lost City has hosted events in the past, may serve as coffee house sites, Maddox said.

Currier House Committee Chairman Steven M. Kirnon '85 said he "says no problem" with The Lost City's using the Currier Fishbowl and supports the idea. Lowell House Committee Chairman could not be reached for comment.

Although the old Lost City used Paine Hall and Sanders Theater for large concerts, Maddox said his group has to such plans now.

Because Lost City is registered with the office of Dean of Students Archie C. Epps III. Maddox said he expects the group to have "no problem with formality, posting things or using facilities."

"If the [Undergraduate] Council is as generous as it was to a skeletal organization," said Maddox, "no problem."

Maddox called the Lost City "serious in its existence, and frivolous in its purpose." He added that it is not necessary to be a "super guitarist," to get involved, and said Lost City hopes to accomodate other non-music activity as well