University Starts Distributing Second Round of Computers

Five months after Harvard announced that is would offer students cut-rate Apple Macintosh computers, the University has begun the second round of distribution of the machines.

As the result of a deal completed last January with Apple. Inc., Harvard can offer the computers for approximately $1000 less than their standard retail value of $2400.

Still Eligible

Beginning today, the University will process delivery of about 50 computers a day for the 775 students who entered a lottery last spring, said Diane M. Terp, an office systems analyst in the Office for Information Technology (OIT).

The processing should take approximately two to three weeks, Terp added.

Another 525 non-students, including faculty and other staff, should receive their machines within six weeks, she added.

The University is also offering several models of IBM and Digital Equipment Corporation computers to students and staff at a discount of approximately 35 percent. After the first few months of sales, IBM is outselling its competitors at Harvard by about four to one, officials said.

Although 3000 students and staff ordered the Macs last spring, only about 1000 continued the application process this September.

The first 300 of this group, selected by another lottery last spring, received their equipment over the summer.

"I love it. It makes life a lot easier and I've written a paper on it already," said Laura K. Dietz '87.

But she added that she was disappointed with the limited word-processing software. "It's a great thing to have, but the software is taking too long to come out." Dietz said.

Since September 1, the office has received an additional 400 applications, said Terp. The majority of students interested are undergraduates, most of whom are freshmen, she added.

Under the terms of a financial agreement designed to prevent black market reselling of the low-priced systems, students technically lease the machines from the University, although they pay the full purchase price. However, after 15 months they may claim ownership of the systems.