Bok Urges Opposition to Influx Laws

President Bok is one of 16 presidents of U.S. colleges and universities who have sent a letter to the American Chamber of Commerce in South Africa, urging its members to oppose more actively the so-called influx control laws, the cornerstone of apartheid in South Africa.

In the letter dated December 18 the presidents recommend that the Chamber press for reform of the laws, which restrict where Blacks may live and work and separate many Blacks from their families in "homelands."

The presidents suggest that the Chamber join with progressive South Africans in opposing the laws, and emphasize American abhorrence of these measures and the special pressures American business face, such as the divestiture movement.

Wesleyan University president Conn G. Campbell drafted the letter. Other signatories include the presidents of Columbia, Cornell, Notre Dame, Rutgers and Yale Universities and of Amherst, Bryn Mawr, Colby, Dartmouth, Haverford, Oberlin, Smith, Swarthmore and Williams colleges.

David Rosen, director of the Harvard News Office said the call for stronger action is in line with the recommendations of an October report of Harvard's Corporation Committee on Shareholder Responsibility.