Science is Fun, Chemist Tells Students

Short Takes

"Fun, fulfillment and eating" are the three best reasons for women to pursue a career in science, a Harvard chemist argued before a crowd of about 25 undergraduates last night.

The chemist, Acting Dean of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences Peter S. McKinney, joined two other Harvard administrators in urging women to consider careers in science.

"Science is an incredibly untapped area for women," McKinney told the attentive Harvard Hall crowd. Only 13 percent of science Ph.D's are women, McKinney added.

Paraphrasing a Russian proverb, E. Cynthia Verba, assistant director of the Office of Career Services, told women to be aggressive in using professors as resources to find out more about scientific careers.

"The picture is bright in the sciences for grant opportunities," said Patricia A. McWade, assistant dean of the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences. Women and other minorities tend to be particularly successful in finding funding for graduate study, McWade told the crowd.

Women In Science at Harvard/Radcliffe organized last night's panel discussion. The event was the second address sponsored by the group this year. The group plans to sponsor a presentation entitled "Is Science Masculine?" next month.