POLICE BLOTTER

By Richard L. Meyer

Four bikes with an estimated total value of $1150 were stolen from the Harvard campus during the past week, Harvard University Police reported yesterday.

An unidentified person stole a silver ten-speed Motobeeane touring bike from in front of the Indoor Track and Tennis building between 4 p.m. and 6 p.m. this past Tuesday. Although the bike was locked with a Kryptonite lock, the owner had not secured it to anything. Police estimated the value of the bike at $700. There are no suspects in the case.

A man's 12-speed Univega Viva Sport bike was taken after being left unattended and unsecured by its owner on the east side of Memorial Hall last Saturday, April 13. Estimated value of the bike is $150.

An unidentified person removed a blue 12-speed Fuji Supreme bike from the post to which it was chained in the basement of 17 Everett Street between 10 p.m. last Saturday and 7:30 p.m. Tuesday. Police estimated the value of the bike at $250.

On Monday, April 15, between 10:30 a.m. and 6:30 p.m, someone stole a ten speed Free Sport bike. The thief had apparently cut the chain which had secured the bike. The bike's estimated value is $50.

Police yesterday advised bike owners to buy and use bike locks. "When you're paying seven or eight hundred dollars for a bike, it doesn't hurt to invest $25 in a lock," said Don C. Nagel, a police official who statistically analyses crimes reported to the department. Nagel said that if people simply took the time to lock up their bikes, bike theft would not be such a problem.

Other Crimes

Other Crimes reported to the Harvard Police during the week ending Thursday, April 18 included:

* A light grey 1982 four-door Oldsmobile Cutlass was reported stolen from the fifth floor of the Everett Street garage. The crime allegedly took place between March 20 and April 16. Police have no suspects in the case.

* An unidentified burglar broke into a locker at Hemenway Gym between 12:45 p.m. and 1:20 p.m. last Sunday, taking $47 in cash and a $200 Pulsar Quartz watch Police said the burglar apparently used force. There are no suspects in the case.

* Also last Sunday, someone broke into a locker at Dillon Field House and stole a blue gym bag with an estimated value of $30. Police have no suspects.

* An identified person last Saturday took $50 in change from a can in an unlocked desk drawer in a Coolidge Hall office. There are no suspects in the case.

* Someone stole a pink nylon wallet which was left unattended in a classroom at the Faculty Club. The wallet contained $110 in cash, a driver's license, and a bank card. Police have no suspects.