Secrecy in the Statehouse

POLITICS

FORMER SPEAKER of the Massachussets House of Representatives Thomas McGee did an odd thing last week. He voted against a proposal which limits the freedom of the press in the Statehouse, and also closes the political process to the public. Odd because McGee is a politician known for his closed door policies and backroom style of politics before his ouster from the speakership by current House Speaker George Keverian.

In fact, Keverian campaigned for the speakership by attacking McGee's anachronistic political style and promising more freedom and openess in the Statehouse. Yet, he was the man responsible for the proposal of the bill banning the press from attending democratic caucus meetings--a piece of legislation which McGee was among the few Democrats to vote against. While all the party members who supported the bill have chosen to ignore one of the Democratic party's most cherished ideals--that of open debate of pluralistic politics--it is Keverian's vote which is particularly notable, given his campaign on just those open-debate grounds.

How quickly things change, and what a turn for the worse by Keverian. We denounce his infringement on the First Amendment and his tightening of statehouse politics. We urge state leaders quickly to get back on the path of progressive, open politics--a road which seemed to have a promising future after the ouster of McGee.

The caucus is the opportunity for members of a party to get together and work out their differences so as not to contradict each other on the floor. When causes were open to the press the public was able at least to learn what different opinions existed and how the state would potentially be run. Now even this glimpse will be denied.

As usual, backroom politics will keep the present rulers of the Democratic party in charge even though they might not be supported by the majority of their members.

Running the Democratic Party is almost synonymous with running Massachusetts. By barring the press from these meetings, Keverian and the rest of the party is preventing the public from seeing the many different viewpoints which contribute to the formulation of state policy. Instead the public only sees the finished products which the Democrats, by virtue of their vast majority, push through the statehouse.

Moreover, many newer politicians, or politicians with new ideas--on the basis of which Keverian ran when he bucked McGee--will be disenchanted with a system denying the public acess to them. The usual disheartening effects of backroom politics will surely result.

THE ANSWER is to formulate written rules for the running of the house. Rules which keep the political process open and protect the rights of the public.

The new Speaker cannot and should not resort to the ways of his predecessor. The fear that representatives will not speak their minds if the press is present at the caucus meetings is groundless. There is always internal communication, but most important sometimes politicians must and should he encouraged to speak their minds. At least the public will then understand the choices being made--information to which it has a right.