Wileying Away the Miles

By Kate Wiley

Kate Wiley is the only women's cross country runner ever to win the Heptagonals twice.

She's also the only one to win it three times.

The Heptagonal Cross Country Championship--the meet in which all eight Ivy League squads and the Eastern military academics compete--determines the Ivy team and individual championship.

And thanks to Wiley's triumphs and with the help of her second-place finish her freshman year (behind teammate Jenny Stricker), the Crimson has claimed the team title all four years of Wiley's career.

What makes her success even more remarkable is that it has come in a sport that is notorious for taking its toll on competitors. The grueling nature of distance running often leads to injuries and burnout--not three-year champs.

Wiley's accomplishments extend far beyond the cross-country route. Last year, the Canadian ran in her country's Olympic marathon trials and missed qualifying for the team by only a few second.

Wiley has also been an integral member of the Harvard indoor and outdoor track squads. She has been a leading point scorer in the 1500, 3000, 5000, and 10,000 and the Winthrop House resident holds the Ivy League and Harvard records in the latter two events.

Her contributions to Harvard running have been far greater than the points she's earned on the track. Her modesty and dedication have made a lasting impression on her teammates.

"As a runner, she's always been an inspiration and something to strive for." Harvard women's track Co-Captain Amy Simon says. "She's a unique person--she's very humble and I think the team almost took for granted how good she is."

Next year, Wiley will be doing research for a doctor in Boston, and eventually the Biology concentrator plans on attending medical school.