Tourney Turnaround: Spikers Snare Second

Things are looking up for Harvard's women's volleyball team.

After a rocky start--the spikers lost three straight matches last weekend to Boston College and Holy Cross--the Crimson placed second in a tournament Saturday, losing just two sets to Wellesley.

Assumption and Babson, placed third and fourth respectively.

According to junior Captain Lisa Eskow, there were several reasons for the turnaround. Freshman Mia Foreman played a great defensive game, in addition to serving well and playing in-telligent offense.

"She is a solid all-around player, among the best at the tournament on Saturday, and probably among the best in the New England league," Eskow said.

Eskow cited a new team attitude as another reason for the Crimson's success and handed much of the credit to Nancy Prior, a freshman who kept the team up emotionally.

Promising Future

When asked about the future, Eskow was very excited. She explained that the team is very young and inexperienced--the starting line-up consists of two freshmen, several sophomores and juniors--and no seniors.

She is confident that by preparing for the Ivy League season against the New England teams, the team will definitely improve on its sixth-place finish last year.

The spikers will play this weekend against Tufts and Wellesley--a squad that beat them in two matches Saturday to earn the tournament championship.