Raining On Reagan's Parade

THE MAIL

To the Editors of The Crimson:

Congratulations! Chris Farley, for your sobering and insightful essay on Martin Luther King Jr.'s birthday (Crimson, Jan. 22). Undoubtedly, your statements may shock the sensibilities of many, who would rather ignore the racial problems that still remain in this country. Despite the progress that has been made, racism is all too pervasive in the U.S., and the economic and social inequalities that separate Blacks and whites are staggering. Too many Americans, intoxicated with their own self-righteousness, choose to wave their flags in the face of racism and listen to the man (Ronald Reagan) who twists the words of our heroes, like Dr. King, to fit his political agenda.

As I read the last issue of the Crimson it struck me as rather peculiar that three quarters of the editorial page was devoted to the discussion of the grates that Harvard had installed and then removed at Leverett House. Not to belittle the plight of the homeless in Cambridge, that too is a great injustice, but when only one article in the Crimson is devoted to commemorating one of the greatest men in our country's history, something is defintely wrong--with us, the students. You'd think the crime of the century had been commited, the way angry undergrads ranted and raved about the University's actions--only to reject the idea of building a shelter for the homeless because the project was "A difficult, expensive, time-consuming, labor-consuming effort." Well, defeating racism is a similar task, but its problems and side effects can never be overcome unless people take the first step and admit that this country still has a tremendous problem with racism. As long as we say, "look how much better things are now," or "we could stop it any time," America will be in need of enrollment in a Racism Anonymous clinic.

Chris Farley had the guts to rain on America's parade (pronounced facade), and discuss issues that often leave a bad taste going down. When are the rest of us? David Patent '88