Spence Won't Let Student Join Dean Search Group

By Matthew H. Joseph

Dean of the Faculty A. Michael Spence last week rejected an Undergraduate Council proposal to include a student on the search committee for a new dean of Admissions and Financial Aids.

But Spence has agreed to consult with Council-designated student representative Richard Zayas '88 to insure that student perspective is taken into account, Council Chairman Brian C. Offutt '87 said yesterday.

"I do not think of search committees as representative bodies," said Spence in his reply to the Council's request. "The committees are extensions, in a sense, of the offices and the people making the decisions," Spence's letter continues.

He added that he would have made the decision himself if he had the time, and that the search committee is acting on his behalf.

It is unclear whether Harvard will solicit the opinions and concerns of the general student population about the next admissions dean, as it did one year ago for the successor to former Dean of the College John B. Fox Jr. '59.

Not Satisfied

Offutt said that though he was not satisfied with Spence's decision, he did not see the need to push the issue anyfurther.

"I think it's a waste of time for us to doanything else. I think they've almost picked thedean by now," Offutt said.

Other Council members were more incensed bySpence's refusal.

"We asked for student representation because webelieved that that was only way to have directstudent input into the process," said Councilmember Steven A. Nussbaum '86. "We have to make itclear that Dean Spence has said that he doesn'twant any student input."

But Offutt said that just getting Spence toconsult with a Council delegate was an improvementin student input, particularly in comparison withthe small amount of student participation in theselection of L. Fred Jewett '57 as dean of theCollege.

Spence was unavailable for comment yesterday.

The search committee for the new admissionsdean was formed in September when Jewett left hispost as dean of admissions to take over the job ofdean of the College. Chaired by McKay Professor ofComputer Science Harry R. Lewis '68, the committeeis composed of three Faculty members, twoadministrators, and one alumnus.

Officials refused to say how many candidateshave already been interviewed for the position.Committee members contacted yesterday would notsay when they would be making theirrecommendations to Spence.

Spence said earlier this year that thecommittee will give him a list of three or fourcandidates from which he will choose the nextadmissions dean. Spence's choice must then beapproved by the Governing Boards of both Harvardand Radcliffe Colleges