Patriots Upset Raiders in AFC Semifinals

The New England Patriots, scoring on a fumbled kickoff for the third time in four games, scored 10 points within 14 seconds late in the third quarter to upset the Los Angeles Raiders 27-20 Sunday and set up a showdown with the Miami Dolphins for the AFC title.

It was the 11th win in the last 13 games for the Patriots, who took advantage of six turnovers by the Raiders to overcome a 10-point second quarter deficit to set up their third meeting of the year with Miami next Sunday in the Orange Bowl.

New England has not won in its last 17 games in the Orange Bowl.

It was a victory forged by the running of Craig James, who ran for 104 yards on 23 carries, the first 100-yd. game against the Raiders this year.

It was a victory forged by a defense that held the Raiders scoreless in the second half and forced six turnovers--three fumbles, two interceptions by cornerback Ronnnie Lippett and a third by safety Fred Marion.

And it was a victory forged by good fortune that has blessed the Pats, who had not won a playoff game for 23 years until they beat the New York Jets last week in the AFC wild-card game.

The turning point in the mistake-filled game came late in the third quarter after Tony Franklin's 32-yd. field goal had tied the game at 20-20 with 1:11 remaining in the period.

On the ensuing kickoff, Los Angeles' Sam Seale fielded the ball at his own nine, dropped the ball, picked it up, then fumbled again when he was hit by Mosi Tatupu. The ball rolled towards the goal line with a covey of players chasing it until Jim Bowman, a rookie safety, fell on the ball for what proved to be the winning score.

The play was nearly identical to two previous touchdowns scored by the Pats. One, in Miami, tied the game that New England finally lost --and with it the AFC title. And in last week's wild-card game against the Jets, they scored 10 points in 15 seconds to break open what turned out to be a 26-14 victory.