Drug Bill Easily Passes Through Senate

Final Draft to Reach Reagan Soon

WASHINGTON--The Senate yesterday voted 97-2 to approve a sweeping election-year bill to combat illegal drugs, including a beefed-up enforcement program that would make greater use of the military.

The Senate bill, and a measure passed by the House of Representatives September 11, reflect Congress' response to increasing voter concern about drugs.

The two bills differ in specific provisions but are similar in thrust, proposing a broad approach that would pour money into enforcement education, rehabilitation and crop eradication, and would withhold aid from recalcitrant producer countries.

The final form of a drug bill this year is likely to be resolved in a House-Senate conference.

House Speaker Thomas P. "Tip" O'Neill Jr. (D-Mass.) called the Senate bill "better than nothing" and said the House might accept it to "get a foot in the door."

Both measures authorize money for the increased war against drugs, but separate appropriations bills would be necessary actually to spend the funds. Often Congress does not appropriate the full amount authorized.

The Congressional Budget Office said the House bill authorizes $6.1 billion through the 1991 fiscal year, and the Senate bill $3.2 billion through the same period.

By voice vote, a non-binding resolution was passed specifying that a new source of revenue will be needed to pay for the bill, beginning with an appropriation of about $600 million for the current fiscal year.

"Are we talking about raising taxes?" asked Sen. Gary Hart (D-Colo.).

"We could be talking about that," replied Lawton Chiles (D-Fla.), ranking Democrat on the Senate Budget Committee.

Budget Committee Chairman Peter Domenici (R-N.M.) said some senators want to obtain the money by raising alcohol and cigarette taxes. But senators left the exact source of the new revenue unclear.

The Senate measure would give the secretary of defense three months to prepare a list of actions the U.S. military could take to increase anti-drug efforts by civilian agencies, and specify equipment that would be used. Congressional committees would have to review the list.

The House measure would give the president 30 days to deploy military equipment and personnel to halt smugglers at the borders and arrest them when in hot pursuit. Within 45 days, the chief executive would be required substantially to halt smuggler boats and planes from crossing U.S. borders.

Defense Secretary Caspar W. Weinberger '38 labeled the House language "absurd" and asserted the military is "doing a very great deal" to fight drugs.

The Senate bill does not include a death penalty provision. The House bill would allow capital punishment for individuals involved in a continuing criminal enterprise who intentionally caused the death of another individual.

The Senate measure also does not include a weakening of the exclusionary rule, which keeps illegally seized evidence out of court. The House bill would allow admission of such evidence in warrantless searches, provided federal officers acted in good faith. The Supreme Court already has made a "good faith" exemption in cases where warrants were obtained.