Sanders Will Take Helm At The Harvard Gazette

By Eugenia Balodimas

The Harvard Gazette, the University's official news publication, has appointed a recent Graduate School of Education alumnus as its new managing editor.

David Sanders, who accepted the position last month, will replace Alfred J. Alcorn as the head of the 17-year-old weekly publication.

Sanders recently worked as a publicity coordinator for Harvard's 350th celebrations and served as an editor for the 350th Supplement of the Gazette, which has a regular circulation of 38,000 students, faculty and staff.

Sanders said he will "oversee all aspects of getting the paper out week to week--assigning stories and doing all that needs to be done for the production of the paper."

Sanders was chosen from a large field by Harvard News Office Director Peter Costa and Vice President for Government and Community and Public Affairs John Shattuck, who oversee the Gazette.

"I believe David Sanders did a lot of work for the 350th celebration, and he has the backing of our news staff. He brings many strengths and the vigor of youth," said Deane W. Lord, director of information at the news office.

"I am not going to sweep in and change things dramatically. I'm pretty pleased with the current state of the paper," Sanders said. But he added, "I plan to do a little more advanced planning and cover a broader range of subjects."