Yardlings Entertain Bok, Discuss Life at Harvard

In the past month President Derek C. Bok has entertained many famous dignitaries visiting the University in honor of Harvard's 350th birthday, but yesterday some less luminous figures entertained him.

About 30 residents of Canaday D shared ice cream and casual conversation with Bok for almost two hours yesterday afternoon.

For the freshmen, it was their first chance to meet with Bok. For Bok, it was his first visit to a dormitory that he helped raise funds for more than 15 years ago.

Bok answered questions about Saturday's 350th ball, his years at Stanford, the role of college sports, and the rigors of life as a college president.

At a tea given at the Fogg Art Museum during freshman week, Canaday D resident Marc Tritel '90 approached Bok and invited him to visit the entryway.

"I thought that there would be a lot of interest in sitting down and talking with such an influential man like President Bok," Tritel said.

While the students ate ice cream from Steve's, Bok discussed his views on student activism and financial aid. He said that he favored serious dialogue about complex issues such as divestment rather than the sloganeering that appears to be so popular with students.

Several students also asked about the advantages of athletic and merit-based scholarships. Bok said he disapproved of such financial aid for Harvard students.

In return, Bok asked the students about the Expository Writing program. The president said he sympathized with the Canaday D residents who are awakened every morning by the Memorial Church bell.

Drawing a big chuckle from the freshmen, Bok spoke of his plans for life after Harvard, saying, "the market forused college presidents is not that good."

Many of the students said that they weresurprised that Bok so readily accepted aninvitation to visit a freshman dorm. "I wassurprised most by the fact that he answered toughquestions as candidly as he did," said Timothy F.Sipples '90, a Canaday resident.

"He didn't treat us like freshmen," saidRichard N. Louie '90, who also lives in Canaday."Harvard seems to have a lot of really nice peoplein high places," said Paul S. Wylie '90.

At 6:15 p.m. Bok excused himself, saying thathis wife was expecting him home for dinner