class cuts

PENN STATE

Counting Their Chickens

While many Harvard seniors are getting goosebumps at investment bank interview, poultry science majors at Penn State can sit back and watch their career plans hatch.

Students who specialize in poultry science at schools like Penn State are practically guaranteed top management positions in large poultry corporations across the country.

With less than 100 poultry science concentrators in the United States, and two to three times that number of job opportunities in the area of poultry business management, job placement for poultry science majors is 100 percent.

But if you want to get in on the action in this field, you had better move quickly, advises Dr. Forest Muir, professor at the Penn State School of Poultry Science. "More alert students are becoming aware of the competitive advantage of specializing in poultry," Muir said.

Muir, who holds a doctorate in poultry genetics, offers a three-credit course in basic livestock and poultry management practices. This course teaches fowl physiology and the basic principles of how to manage birds through hands-on experience at the 6000-chicken Penn State Poultry Farm.

John Kenneth Galbraith noted in his speech at the Winthrop House 350th Celebration Dinner Thursday night that 50 years ago he got a degree in large animal science.

Muir commented, however, "Now students in the large animal area have to look to the poultry area for employment." UNIVERSITY OF COLORADO

Dorm Sex OK

Sexual relations in dormitories is allowed as long as it does not violate a roommate's right to privacy, a University of Colorado student panel decided last week.

The Dormitory Representative Council voted 16-0 after 90 minutes of debate Monday to recommend that wording in a campus handbook be changed to reflect that view, the Associated Press reported.

A controversy arose over phrasing that appeared in this year's "Guide to Residence Hall Living." It banned "sexual activity such as sleeping together [or] going to bed with another person."

Housing officials argued that the contested language was merely a clarification of existing rules against cohabitation and served notice that the rules would be enforced.

But the dormitory representatives voted to replace the phrasing with: "Visitation does not, therefore, permit any activity, sexual or otherwise, which is contrary to a roommates' and fellow residents' right to privacy." UNIVERSITY OF MASSACHUSETTS

Si Si Sandinista

About 200 University of Massachusetts students Thursday engaged in a shouting match during a rally at the Amherst campus to support an American captured when Sandinista troops shot down a contra supply plane in Nicaragua, the Associated Press reported.

A dozen opposing students countered rally supporters' shouts of "USA, USA" with chants of "Si Si Sandinista, No No CIA."

Brain Darling, president of the campus Republican Club, which organized the rally, called the captive, Eugene Hasenfus, "a good American, who was doing what the United States should have been doing all along--fighting Communism in South America."

Student Senate President Bill Barnett pleaded with the hecklers to allow Darling's group to be heard, but there were no incidents.

The 25,000-student campus was the scene of several demonstrations against U.S. involvement in Central America during the last school year. DARTMOUTH

Where Men Aren't Men Anymore

Just before he announced his resignation, Dartmouth College President David T. McLaughlin endorsed changing the words of the school's Alma Mater, "Men of Dartmouth," to accomodate women.

McLaughlin, who announced his resignation earlier this week, has encouraged the Alumni Council and Student Association to consider the issue, according to the Daily Dartmouth, the student newspaper.

Junior Todd J. Zywicki, a staff member of the Daily, described McLaughlin's endorsement of the change as "attempting to make his last stamp on Dartmouth" before his tenure ends. Zywicki also foresees "a huge battle between the alumni and the faculty" over the wording of the song.

Some alumni have suggested changing the first line from "Men of Dartmouth, give a rouse..." to "Now for Dartmouth...," according to the student publication. BOSTON COLLEGE

Librarian Arrested in Rare Book Heist

A rare books curator at Boston College has been accused by the FBI of trying to sell two 15th century works of Thomas Aquinas and other valuable books stolen from the school, the Associated Press reported.

Ralph Coffman, 46-year-old head of the college's Burns Library, which houses rare books among its 50,000 volumes, was arrested Monday on a complaint alleging he brought 52 stolen books worth an estimated $160,000 to the New York auctioneer Sotheby's this summer.

College officials declined comment Wednesday on the arrest other than to say the school learned of the investigation late last week, but news of Coffin's arrest spread quickly through universities in the area.

The head of Houghton Library, which houses rare books at Harvard, said the arrest has upset the library community.

"Not only the fact but the appearance of being honest is extremely important in the rare book field," said Lawrence Dowler, but "any violation of that is unsettling."

Among the books Coffman allegedly took from the Jesuit college were Aquinas' "Tract on Being and Essence," printed in Cologne in 1480; his "Golden Chains," printed in Cologne in 1482; and Pope Boniface's "Life of Christ by Bonaventure," printed in Paris in 1535.