Ivy League Football Wrap

Penn 24, Yale 6

Chris Flynn scored two short-yardage touchdowns to lead unbeaten Penn to a 24-6 victory over Yale Saturday in Philadelphia.

Penn drove 79 yards on 13 plays to score on its first possession, with Flynn carrying over from the 6, but could only manage a 37-yard field goal by Jim Grass for the rest of the half.

Flynn, who ran for 124 yards on 22 carries, scored from the 4 to cap a three-play drive by the Quakers in the third period. On Penn's next possession, Jim Bruni's 4-yard run finished off a 13-play, 74-yard drive that took 7:29.

Both of Yale's scores came on second-quarter field goals by John Duryea of 25 and 31 yards.

Duryea's first field goal cut the Penn lead to 7-3, but Grass' kick offset the Eli score to make it 10-3 10 seconds into the second quarter.

Holy Cross 7, Brown 0

Gordon Lockbaum ran for 77 yards, caught nine passes for 114 yards and had two touchdowns to pace unbeaten Holy Cross to its seventh consecutive victory, 22-7 over Brown Saturday.

Jeff Wiley completed 19 of 31 passes for 230 yards, including the nine passes to Lockbaum.

Lockbaum, who also starts in the secondary, scored the go-ahead touchdown two minutes into the second quarter to erase a 7-2 Brown lead. The score capped a 38-yard drive after a poor Brown punt.

Brown (3-3) opened the scoring on a 78-yard drive capped by a 1-yard plunge into the end zone by Lane Wood. On Brown's next possession, the Holy Cross nose guard, Andy Martin sacked Brown's Mark Donovan in the end zone for a safety.

Colgate 54, Columbia 8

Kenny Gamble rushed for 180 yards and three touchdowns to lead Colgate to a 54-8 rout of Columbia at New York, extending the Lions' winless streak to 30 straight games, longest in the nation.

Gamble gained 75 yards in the first quarter to help the Red Raiders gain their first victory after six defeats this season. Columbia has lost its six games this year and has now been beaten 27 consecutive times.

Colgate took a 17-0 lead on Gamble's first touchdown, an 11-yard run 4:16 into the second quarter. Mike Powers' 22-yard field goal and a 5-yard run by Barry Chubb had given Colgate a 10-0 lead in the first quarter.

Gamble gained more than 100 yards in a game for the 16th time in his career, equalling the school record set by Rich Erenberg, now with the Pittsburgh Steelers. He also went over 1000 yards for the season, becoming the first Red Raider in two seasons to do that.

Cornell 10, Dartmouth 7

Cornell quarterbacks Marty Stallone and Chris Knapp combined for 230 passing yards as the Big Red edged Dartmouth, 10-7, in Hanover, N.H., to remain unbeaten in the Ivy League.

The loss spoiled the most impressive outing of the season by the Dartmouth defense, which had been yielding an average of 40-plus points per game, and dropped the Green to 0-6 on the season (0-4 Ivies).

Tom Aug's 24-yd. field goal with five seconds left in the second quarter proved to be the difference in the contest.

Fullback Jeff Johnson led the Red's ground attack, gaining 96 yards on 24 carries. Johnson--who caught a key pass to set up Aug's field goal--was responsible for 165 of Cornell's 421 total yards.

Cornell's thrid-quarter touchdown came on a 13-yd. pass from Knapp, who replaced Stallone after he was injured late in the first half, to Shaun Hawkins.