Steve's Ice Cream Closed By City Board of Health

Cambridge Board of Health officials temporarily closed Steve's Ice Cream in Harvard Square for health violations, including unsanitary conditions and possible rat infestation.

Closed since last week, the 31 Church St. store is undergoing renovations to meet sanitary regulations and will reopen as soon as it passes health inspection, health officials said.

'A Lot to be Desired'

"There's a lot to be desired," said Cambridge Board of Health official Joseph M. Nicoloro of the sanitary conditions at the Harvard Square store.

The brick walls which line the inside of the ice cream shop caused sanitary problems because they are very difficult to keep clean in a food preparation area, Nicoloro said.

He said structural weaknesses in the store's walls and floor alerted health inspectors to other violations of Cambridge health regulations, Nicoloro said.

A large leak on the floor at the end of an ice cream freezer chest nearly ate a hole through the floor into the cellar, Nicoloro said.

Steve's also experienced some trouble with rodents near its basement, according to Board of Health officials.

"It was nothing of any seriousness, but if it were neglected, we'd run into a problem," Nicoloro said.

The store manager could not be reached for comment, but Nicoloro said that Steve's will be free to reopen once it passes reinspection.

"As long as they maintain the structural end of the store, it will be fine," Nicoloro said.

Steve's isn't the only store with rodent and sanitation problems, health officials said. Complaints of rodent infestation have plagued many Harvard Square stores of late.

Nicoloro attributed the rodents to garbage disposal problems in the Square.

Harvard Square frequently has difficulty with sanitation becasue the buildings are old and difficult to keep in good condition, Nicoloro said.