Coach in Good Condition After High Voltage Shock
Harvard men's water polo Coach Christopher Hafferty, who was knocked unconscious by a high voltage shock Wednesday, was released from Brigham and Women's Hospital yesterday morning.
He is in "good condition," said hospital spokesman Terrie Long, who would not elaborate on his condition.
Hafferty, who was changing a 1000 watt lamp in the roof at Blodgett pool Wednesday, was shocked at 11 a.m., said Associate Director of Facilities Maintenance, Lawrence R. Kilduff.
Hafferty was knocked unconscious near the ceiling, and the Fire Department, which arrived to rescue him, had to cut a hole in the Blodgett roof to reach him.
Kilduff said that plans are underway to repair the roof, but plywood and roofing felt will cover the hole until the causes of accident have been determined.
A committee to investigate the accident has been appointed. It will include a member from the Cambridge Health and Safety Commission, a representative from the Facilities Maintenance Department and a faculty member, said Kilduff.
"Nothing like this has ever happened before," said Kilduff. "Hafferty was dealing with 1000 watt bulbs and with 277 and 480 volt circuits, which are always hazardous. He is very lucky."
Patricia H. Miller, assistant director of athletics, said she did not know when Hafferty would return to work.
Said Miller: "Knowing Hafferty, I think he will probably want to be back soon. I hear he's in good condition, but when I talked to him yesterday he said he didn't remember anything about being shocked."
Hafferty, who went home yesterday, could not be reached for comment.